question

daniyalshah avatar image
daniyalshah asked

Dual Victron inverter (15kW Quattro & 5 kW Multiplus) for on an off grid system with four BYD 15.4 LVL batteries, same battery bank, separate AC out

Dear Experts

I am trying to build an off grid system for Broadcast Critical infrastructure. The issue with standard installation approach is that it requires inverters to be daisy chain (like Master & Slave). In an event of Master inverter failure the AC output of slave inverter would also stop. I have experimented connecting 5 kW Multiplus through the USB port on cerbo GX via MK3 but that approach disconnects the Multiplus inverter from BYD BMS. So in case of battery internal fault Multiplus won't shutdown. Can you please suggest a way in which both inverters could operate independently with BYD LFP batteries without compromising the integrity of the overall system. The reason I want to operate inverters independently so that there is diverse power supply for the FM transmitters.

BYDsystem design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@daniyalshah

A system with true redundancy will have two battery banks. if your main bank was to shut down then both systems are offline so defeats the idea of having backup.

Then by design be two completely separate systems. So two gx devices to control each inverter as they are meant to.

The cascade / shared bank idea is unsupported and really has a tonne of operational and safety concerns as you have experienced.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide