question

dissent avatar image
dissent asked

Dead BMV-712 device, BT200 on display, firmware fails with #31 error. Need to replace ASAP.

I have a dead BMV-712 unit. It will not receive a firmware update from my Samsung S7 Edge Android phone, which I always use to update this and my MPPT 75/15 solar controller, and no buttons respond. The Victron Connect app reads 0v and 0%. When I load the app and select the BMV-712, it prompts immediately for a firmware update, gets to 80%, resets to 30ish% and just sits there for about 10 minutes before failing with a #31 error. The BMV-712 device just says "BT200" on the display and is otherwise totally unresponsive from it's button panel. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps in the manual to no avail. I've tried a 2nd Android Tablet that lives in my truck and used to monitor nad update this device but it just reads 0v and when I try to update firmware, the next screen is just blank. My MPPT controller works great with both Android devices.

How do I work the warranty to replace this unit? I purchased from Amazon.com on June 4, 2018

BMV Battery Monitorfirmware updateerror
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I don't think its a faulty unit, I think the firmware update is failing due to connection issues, but more checking is needed.

disconect the phones bluetooth pair to that unit.

Try. de powering the BMV (take the small plug out from the back of the unit,) wait 2-5 min and reinsert the plug and try the update again, (you will have to pair again and the password is 000000

make sure you have a good fast stable internet connection to the phone.

If all else fails take it to your nearest Victron dealer with the receipt for purchase and they maybe be able to help you.

Its always best to buy off your local victron dealer, especially if you are looking for local support.

otherwise contact Victron support for a RMA and they will tell you how to return it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dissent avatar image
dissent answered ·

Looks like it was connection based @Paul B! I had removed and reseated the plug last night and it didn't do anything. I also re-pair'd it with Bluetooth to no avail. I deleted the Victron app and reloaded it then attempted the FW update again and it worked. Now the gauge and the app are reporting battery status again! Thanks a bunch!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic