question

Charles Buehler avatar image
Charles Buehler asked

How to configure Blue Solar MPPT when connected to Venus?

Our 5 Blue Solar MPPTs are connected to a Venus GX by VE Direct cables. To configure them I need to physically disconnect VE Direct cables from the Venus (not at all easy on a boat) and temporarily connect to a PC/Android running VE Configure app.

Am I missing something? There must be an easier way!??

Venus GX - VGXVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

If you have a BMS that sends charge / discharge voltage / current to the system, the MPPT's will go into 'networked / bms controlled' mode, and will follow instructions from the BMS (need to use DVCC for that also).

I fully agree the MPPT's should be set to a safe (low) voltage for when the bms is not connected for some reason, and you reset the MPPT to work stand alone

(note that when the BMS is disconnected the MPPT's will stop working, until you reset the networked status, you can do that in the remote console. So without external action, the MPPT's will not continue to charge when the BMS get's disconnected)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Charles Buehler avatar image
Charles Buehler answered ·

I appreciate you trying to help, but you are not addressing my question. Please forget the BMS. This is not a BMS or Lithium question.

All I am trying to do is configure my devices (5 × Blue Solar MPPTs and one 24/5000/120 Multi, while all the devices are connected to a Venus GX.

The only way that have been able to do that for the MPPTs (I figured out the Multi with your help - thank you!) is to manually disconnect everything from the Venus and connect it to a device that is running VE Configure. Very inconvenient and annoying!!!

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

I'm sorry but if you're not using DVCC than you have to setup every device by itself.
I usually update the firmware and configure the devices on the workbench before installing.

BMS is relevant, because if you have one, you don't have to setup the MPPT's.
Updating the firmware can be done through VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Charles. No, there's no easier way. *Yet* ..it's supposedly under development and hopefully access via GX will turn up one day.

Be aware that VEConfigure is for inverters, not mppts. You'll need VictronConnect for that, and whatever adaptor you choose to use: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start

If it makes you feel any better, there must be a horde of end users wishing for this..

1 comment
2 |3000

Charles Buehler avatar image Charles Buehler commented ·

Sorry, yes Victron Connect!

Thank you for this. At least I know I'm not missing anything, and I'm not alone!! :)

0 Likes 0 ·
mariner62 avatar image
mariner62 answered ·

We are two years further down the track from this question. Has the problem been solved by Victron ?

I also want to be able to configure my Blue Solar MPPT controllers using my GX device (Cerbo) without having to physically re-configure the VE.Direct cables.

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

With an internet connection you can use VictonConnect-Remote:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/victonconnect-remote--vc-r----configuration-and-monitoring-via-vrm.html

Without internet there is currently no other way.

0 Likes 0 ·
Roman Le Houelleur avatar image
Roman Le Houelleur answered ·

Hi all, I just bought a Cerbo GX thinking I would be able to control/configure/monitor my 2 bluesolar 150/60, 2 multiplus in parallel and a BMV. It is now my understanding that I can only do that through VRM portal. But why can't we do that locally ? I mean it's the VictronConnect interface anyway, so why not ? This is on a boat, sometimes no internet connection. Should I just buy some bluetooth dongles and get rid of the Cerbo or is a full local control on the roadmap ? Thanks !

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page