question

luisglezi avatar image
luisglezi asked

Adding LFP4 battery to boat house bank, using Orion-TR DC-DC charger (30A). Any remark to this schema?

Hi all

I am adding a LFP4 battery to increase the battery house capacity of my boat (Dufour, 38ft, 2014). I would like to hear opinions about the setup I am considering

Current setup (mostly factory set-up)
- 1 Starter battery (FLA), 90AH
- 2 House batteries (FLA), 95AH
- 1 AC battery charger connected to Starter and House banks (independently) - 25A
- Mitsubishi 125A alternator (Volvo D2-40)
- 1 MPPT (100V/20A), connected to House batteries
- 1 Victron Inverter (500W)

Needs
I would like to add 1 additional LFP4 battery (Victron). Probably 100AH or 150AH
- reducing to the minimum the changes to the existing wiring
- since current house batteries are quite new, if possible I would like to keep using them

Plan
My plan is to maintain the current setup as much as possible, with the following changes:
- add the new LFP4 battery to the existing house bank, connected thru a Victron Orion-TR Smart DC-DC charger
- add a new Victron MPPT (100/20A), connected to the new LFP4, since I intend to install additional solar panels
- move all "services loads" (fridge, navigation, lights, etc) to the LFP4. This implies basically moving a single cable to the new battery (though a new busbar)
- I will keep the existing Victron Inverter and MPPT attached to the FLA bats

This is the simplified schema (no cabling, busbars, etc)

1638016023766.png

This setup is somewhat different to the usual scenario of a Victron Orion-TR, in which the LFP4 battery charges from the Start battery (and LFP4 becomes the single house battery)

I have read extensively all the info about DC-DC chargers in this forum (and other sailing community forums) and could not figure out any significant issue, but obviously I am not an expert. Any remark about this configuration?

Any remark about where to place the MPPTs? I am assuming that splitting my solar charging to both environments (FLA and LFP4) makes sense (in order to maximize energy storage), but I am not sure if this would have significant drawbacks. I acknowledge that I will need to find suitable voltage levels when programming the DC-DC charger so that I the charging of the batteries in the different scenarios (day/night sailing, motoring, connected to port, etc)

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long message

MPPT SmartSolarLithium Batteryorion-tr smart
1638016023766.png (32.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Bottom line is that LiFePo and lead acid don't mix. They need different charging and won't behave the same as lead acid under load, leading to unequal load on the batteries.

What you're proposing looks ok. But be aware that the DC:DC between the lead and lithium sides only works in one direction.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

luisglezi avatar image
luisglezi answered ·

Agree. Thanks a lot. I guess I will need to do some lab tests to see what are the optimal settings for the Orion-TR

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Take the output side from the battery data sheet.

Make sure the Orion only kicks in when the lead side is being charged. Default settings should do this, but look at the built in switch options as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
hoges avatar image
hoges answered ·

Hi, I am doing the same thing so I am not convinced that Lead and LiiFePo do not mx as they can be complimentary and save your alternator and LiFePo. Have a look at this.

https://youtu.be/sqT27KbxRec

https://youtu.be/tAuPfgZgXec

Cheers

André

2 |3000