question

Chris Wilberg avatar image
Chris Wilberg asked

Node red UI via VPN?

Has anyone figured out a way to use the node red ui dashboard remotely without going through VRM? Right now it takes me an average of about 7-10 minutes to get it to launch the node red editor every time I want to see the dashboard. I get a bunch of messages about "token expired", or "SSH timeout" over and over before the node editor actually launches. There has to be a better way!

Node-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Chris Wilberg,

yes that's possible and the way I do it (via port forwarding).

My Router (has it's own IP) has VPN integrated and active.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chris Wilberg avatar image Chris Wilberg commented ·
Oh...I should have mentioned that I can't port forward. My victron system is on a Verizon jetpack that doesn't have an external IP address so I can't forward to it.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Chris Wilberg commented ·
I don't know much about the Verizon Jetpack, but according to what I found on Google, Port Forwarding is possible. If not, then there are Providers, who offer an port forwarding service.

And I think the the Jetpack has a public IP address (from Verizon).

0 Likes 0 ·
Chris Wilberg avatar image Chris Wilberg Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

The IP that my jetpack pulls is a 100.95.9.x which is not an outward facing IP. It's internal to Verizon. I've gone the rounds with Verizon trying to get an outside facing static IP to no avail. When I do a whatsmyip.org lookup I get a totally different address of 174.198.35.xxx that I don't have access to.

I guess I just need to get a VPN figured out.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, the real fix is to make opening the dashboars via VRM work well, which we know has issues and we’ee looking into it.

2 |3000

clives avatar image
clives answered ·

I use Tailscale, at present I have a Raspberry Pi running Tailscale which allows me to access all my computers at home from anywhere in the world. I can run Tailscale App on my iPhone (or iPad/Tablet/Mac or PC) and just fire up Safari, enter 192.168.101.70:1880.

It would be great if I could install Tailscale on VenusOS (not sure if possible, not a programmer).

https://tailscale.com

A secure network that just works Zero config VPN. Installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere.

img-0704.png

img-0704.png (1.2 MiB)
2 |3000