question

hooky avatar image
hooky asked

MPPT RS 450/100 error 35

Ok, so I have already read the other topic relating to this but that was an old post pre firmware v1.04 where there was a known issue with v1.03 false reporting error 35.

We have a few installations where we are getting error 35 popping up from mid/late morning onwards.

Clear days, no clouds.

All mppts updated to v1.05

PV config as follows - 9x Suntech 370w panels per mppt input on north facing ground mount array.

Voc max calculated to be 393V

Isc is 11.49A

Batteries are Pylontech US3000 set to float at 51V so satisfying the 8x rule as stated in the RS manual. ( float > Voc max)

Sites average temps during the day are ~30°C and above ( rural Western Australia)

Everything seems to satisfy requirements yet still getting the error 35.

So I know that error pertains to over voltage of the pv array but I don't see it possible.

If its not a firmware bug as per v1.03 then what else could it be?

I know max PV current is 20A per mppt input, but have read that you can exceed that somewhat without harm as long as the PV is not connected reverse polarity (voiding warranty in that case)

In this instance if we were to parallel strings, we would be at 22.98A Isc.

Would we be better off rearranging each MPPT to 2x parallel strings of 4 or 5 to eliminate the error?

mppt rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Dear all,

Today we released MPPT RS, Inverter RS and Multi RS firmware version v1.08, which fixes false-positive #35 errors.

Instructions on how to install below. Thank you for all your reports and help, super valuable.

This same new version also fixes Error #201 as well as Error #27.

To install the update, two methods

1. When connected via VRM, use the Remote Firmware update mechanism. Details in the documentation.

2. When not connected via VRM, use VictronConnect - either connected via Bluetooth or using a VE.Direct to USB cable. Note that it is the necessary to first download the right files from https://professional.victronenergy.com.. Explained in more detail in the VictronConnect manual, chapter 9.2, Using a self-supplied firmware file.

Within a few weeks, we'll release a new version of VictronConnect that includes the necessary files, after which it will no longer be necessary to download them yourself. Especially if your system has no issues, and when not connected to VRM, I recommend to wait a little for that new VictronConnect version to be released.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hello,

Although firmware version v1.04 improved the number of occurrences of error 35, the behavior regarding error 35 is still not optimal and we are working on improving this. At this moment it is however unknown when this will be released.

We also do not expect that rearranging will make a difference, beside the fact that it decreases the PV voltage, and therefore decrease the efficiency.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Do you know what is causing the Error? I have a few RS 450/100 installed but haven't encountered the error yet. Wondering for future installs.
0 Likes 0 ·
hooky avatar image
hooky answered ·

Well that's not ideal..

We are about to deploy a number of these in a remote off grid system.

I hope the engineers are actively working on this issue to rectify as soon as possible!

Is there any workaround in the mean time?

How does the error 35 affect output performance?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hello,

As far as we know, there is unfortunately not a workaround.

Regarding the output performance: The MPPT will stop for 1 minute and then start converting again.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
mattsmith avatar image
mattsmith answered ·

Getting the same issues. We upgraded to 1.05 and just had another occurrence. Highest voltage is just under 400V so well under the 450V. I did note that the batteries were nearly full and we got a burst of sunlight on an overcast day, so not sure if that is relevant or not.

2 |3000

mattsmith avatar image
mattsmith answered ·

Just FYI, I have set my output AMPS to 90A on the MPPT 450 and after two weeks i have no errors.

1 comment
2 |3000

entaran avatar image entaran commented ·
I'm going to try turning mine down to 95A and see if it goes away. Bonus point it will slightly decrease the temp in my (uprated) wiring. God the +/- to the battery gets hot at 100amps and the casing of the 450/100RS really doesn't allow for much bigger wiring to be fitted.
0 Likes 0 ·