question

jond avatar image
jond asked

4 x Freedom Won Batteries and CCGX device

The system has 4 x Freedom Won Batteries and 2 x 250/100 chargers.

Won't the batteries be daisy chained to the master and only the master connected to the CCGX?

The advise I got was to to replace the CCGX with a Cerbo GX i just need to understand exactly why this is needed and if it will work with 4 freedom won batteries and VE.Can MPPT

Thanks

cerbo gxCCGX Color Controlfreedom won
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

You can use the Color Control GX.
The MPPT's run at 250kbits per second and the battery at 500kbits by default.
You can ask freedomwon to change the bit rate to 250 kbits for the battery and everything will work. We have several older location running like this.

In terms of how the Master slave works. The first BMS to power on, becomes the master. The other batteries then send there data to the Master. This all happens on the same CAN bus that the master uses to talk to the GX. So just chain the batteries and don't worry about it. Make sure to have CAN terminators installed.

The Cerbo GX has 2 completely separate CAN interfaces so you can have them running at diffrent speeds.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jond avatar image jond commented ·

Thanks ok I understand now. Both CAN ports on the CCGX has to use the same baud rate, which cause the limitation if batteries aren't set to 250kbits.

Would it be possible to connect the 2 x 250/100 MPPTs with VE.Direct cables and then use the VE.Can at 500kbits for battery only?

Obviously if there are more than 2 MPPTs they will need to be daisy chained with RJ45 to CAN bus.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo jond commented ·
I run mine like that however on a Venus GX. Battery at 500kb/s to CAN and MPPT's to the VE direct ports. Works perfectly, unless there is a CCGX specific caveat I am unaware of.
0 Likes 0 ·
jond avatar image jond Ingo commented ·
Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake jond commented ·
Yes, you can have the MPPTs on VE. Direct ports. Will work well. If you need more you can always add USB to VE. Direct cables.

Also the 2 CAN plugs on GX are electrically connected. Same as on the battery. There is just 2 ports so you can dasy chain or install termination resistor.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jond

It may be a limitation because of the different baud rates of the mppts and the batteries.

See the manual here.

The cerbo can have two different baud rates for ve can. And I think so can the venus but it is a depreciated model.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:freedomwon

The Battery needs 500kbit/s CAN and the MPPT needs 250kbit/s.
The CCGX can only do the on OR the other.

2 |3000