question

Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether asked

Venus OS driver for the Morningstar Tristar MPPT solar charger

Many of you already know about my driver for the Morningstar Tristar MPPT controller but thought I should post it here now that we have a mods space :-)

Ready to install binary under releases:
https://github.com/osaether/dbus-tsmppt

Venus OS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

escapade avatar image escapade commented Ā·
I am looking to add some solar to the existing array on my yacht. I currently use 4 x 75/15 Victron MPPT controllers connected to my RPi using VE.Direct. The RPi converts the VE.Direct data to N2K which allows me to use my N2KView PC software to monitor and chart the individual panels.

I have an unused MPPT-60 which I would like to use for my new array additions. It looks like I should be able to use this driver to get all the data I want from MPPT-60 into my RPi.

My question is whether or not it will be possible to create the appropriate N2K PGNs for this MPPT-60 data so that it will appear on my N2KView display on my PC. I get confused over what data is and is not available to be converted and sent on the N2K bus.

Thanks,

Jens

0 Likes 0 Ā·
6 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered Ā·

Thanks for the info

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ivo12s avatar image
ivo12s answered Ā·

Hallo everybody,

I had been communication with Ole to implement/install the driver for Morningstar into Raspberry Pi4 actually. Installation works correctly and I have my Morningstar Tristar MPPT-60 as the part of my Victron VRM visualisation. BUT...

msts-ivo.png

I have two of MSTS MPPT-60 as chargers in my FVE.

Do you know, how to do the implementation of driver for TWO chargers into Venus/VRM ?

Thanks in advance.

msts-ivo.png (42.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

ivo12s avatar image ivo12s commented Ā·

Meanwhile I have to add, the separate "calculated" DC-System represent second MPPT-60 with home DC consumption together, so from general overview of the system it is quite correct status. On the other hand in case VRM accept several power equipments, than it should/would exist some solution for two MPPT chargers anyway.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
ivo12s avatar image
ivo12s answered Ā·

Please, does anybody know about the possibility to manage installation of TWO chargers with this driver? Just let me know the expected steps as defined in https://github.com/osaether/dbus-tsmppt/blob/master/README.md and I do my testing task with Raspberry.

THANK YOU !!

3 comments
2 |3000

mikhail-petukhov avatar image mikhail-petukhov commented Ā·

I also use this driver but with single controller. I don't think it will work with second instance in the current version. Try to contact with author.

Current version does not support dbus instanсe ID. Šžne tsmppt process already is running (first controler), dbus instance com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppt has been created.

I'm trying to run second tsmppt process for second controller -

/opt/victronenergy/dbus-tsmppt/dbus-tsmppt
INFO  dbus-tsmppt v1.17 started 
INFO  Built with Qt 4.8.7 running on 4.8.7 
INFO  Built with libmodbus 3.1.4 
INFO  Built on Apr 19 2021 at 20:04:14 
INFO  Wait for local settings on DBus( "system" )... 
INFO  Waiting... 
INFO  Local settings found 
INFO  Port number changed 
INFO  IP Address changed 
INFO  Logging interval changed 
INFO  Registering service "com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppt" 
FATAL RegisterService failed

So, it could not continue because copy of dbus instance com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppt must not be createt. It could works in way of each dbus instance has unic ID. In this way for example -

com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppt1
com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppt2
com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppN

But second tsmppt process still works -

root@raspberrypi2:~# ps |grep tsmppt
 4543 root      1604 S    supervise dbus-tsmppt
 4545 root      1748 S    multilog t s25000 n4 /var/log/dbus-tsmppt
 4546 root      8472 S    /opt/victronenergy/dbus-tsmppt/dbus-tsmppt <- original 
22488 root     13056 S    /opt/victronenergy/dbus-tsmppt/dbus-tsmppt <- second one
22555 root      2684 S    grep tsmppt

Probably not so many changes should be done in the code to allow more tsmppt process to work together.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
ivo12s avatar image ivo12s mikhail-petukhov commented Ā·
Thank you for the anaylsis and test. I have been in contact with author @osaether already, so we will see...
0 Likes 0 Ā·
ivo12s avatar image ivo12s mikhail-petukhov commented Ā·

Do you tested the driver with Venus OS v2.80-v2.82? I did and unfortunatelly it does not work for me.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
ivo12s avatar image
ivo12s answered Ā·

For the users of Morningstar MPPT solar chargers - Ole already updated the driver. It actually works correctly with version OS Venus v2.84. https://github.com/osaether/dbus-tsmppt/issues/6

After you have downloaded the file unpack it:

tar xzf dbus-tsmppt-rpi2.tar.gz and install the two files:

opkg install libmodbus5_3.1.4-r0_cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4.ipk

opkg install dbus-tsmppt_1.18-r0_cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4.ipk

After that you should get a menu that says "Tristar MPPT-60" under settings in the remote console of Venus. Go in there and change the IP-address to that of your TS-MPPT.

1 comment
2 |3000

jeffh avatar image jeffh commented Ā·

I have been trying to get it to work on both a raspberry pi on 2.84 and a BBB in a venus updated to 2.84. And it just doesnt seem to want to work. I get the option to put in the IP and port and while it will show PV Charger 0 W on the screen, it always says 0 W even if the morningstar is fully working.

I download, extract, and install the two ipk as you have listed there. Is there something I am doing wrong with the installation?

I do notice that on the raspberry pi I seem to get:
"patching file PageSolarCharger.qml
~
Starting dbus-tsmppt
svc: warning: unable to control /opt/victronenergy/service/dbus-tsmppt/log: file does not exist
svc: warning: unable to control /opt/victronenergy/service/dbus-tsmppt: file does not exist"

And on the bbb I get:

"Collected errors:
* pkg_extract_control_file_to_stream: Failed to extract control.tar.* from package 'dbus-tsmppt_1.18-r0_cortexa8hf-neon.ipk'.
* pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from dbus-tsmppt_1.18-r0_cortexa8hf-neon.ipk."

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jeffh avatar image
jeffh answered Ā·

Is anyone able to help. I just can't seem to get this to work. I keep getting gateway path unavailable. I have put the correct IP and port. Is there a step that I am missing. I installed libmodbus and the dbus-tsmppt then went into the settings - Tristar MPPT-60 and put in the IP and left the port as the default since it was right to begin with. Both are connected to the same router.

the /var/log/dbus-tsmppt log gives:

@40000000629924131d664884 INFO Unregistering service "com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppt"

@40000000629924131e12ebd4 INFO Registering service "com.victronenergy.solarcharger.tsmppt"

@40000000629924181f12df44 ERROR MODBUS: Gateway path unavailable Retrying ( 1 )...

@40000000629924181f5b61c4 ERROR MODBUS: Gateway path unavailable Retrying ( 2 )...

@40000000629924181fa0467c ERROR MODBUS: Gateway path unavailable Retrying ( 3 )...

@40000000629924181fe64c44 ERROR MODBUS: Gateway path unavailable Retrying ( 4 )...

@400000006299241820709e6c ERROR MODBUS: Gateway path unavailable Trying to reconnect

Does anyone have any idea of what I might of missed, or what might be wrong?

2 |3000

mikhail-petukhov avatar image
mikhail-petukhov answered Ā·

For raspberry pi3 on v2.94 got errors during libmodbus5_3.1.6-r0_cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4.ipk installation -

Collected errors:
 * Solver encountered 1 problem(s):
 * Problem 1/1:
 *   - nothing provides libc6 >= 2.31+git0+4f0a61f753 needed by libmodbus5-3.1.6-r0.cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4
 * Solution 1:
 *   - do not ask to install libmodbus5-3.1.6-r0.cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4

and same eror for dbus-tsmppt_1.18-r0_cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4.ipk

Collected errors:
 * Solver encountered 1 problem(s):
 * Problem 1/1:
 *   - nothing provides libc6 >= 2.31+git0+4f0a61f753 needed by dbus-tsmppt-1.18-r0.cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4
 * Solution 1:
 *   - do not ask to install dbus-tsmppt-1.18-r0.cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4

Both ipk files from dbus-tsmppt-rpi2-venus-v2.83.tar.gz 59.7 KB Feb 16, 2022

But for older versions from dbus-tsmppt-rpi2.tar.gz 77.2 KB Apr 19, 2021 both pkgs installed suscessfuly and driver works fine.

2 |3000

Related Resources