question

brunodemo avatar image
brunodemo asked

Phoenix charger 12/50

I have a 12v lithium 340AH battery with 600w of solar connected and 12v loads. I will connect charger to a generator to charge battery when solar is not sufficient. Can I connect the charger with the solar and 12v loads connected?

Cheers

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Obo avatar image
Obo answered ·

As long as the solar charge controller and your connected loads can deal with the max voltage of the Phoenix (14.4V) then yes

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steffen-graap avatar image
steffen-graap answered ·

I am planning exactly the same operation, an old Phoenix Charger as charging support in the generator operation. The Phoenix is not built for LiPos, but for lead batteries. So there are a few things to keep in mind.

However, you should set the charging voltages accordingly on the Phoenix Charger. Here I would leave some reserve up so that the charger cannot fully charge the battery. I would also replace the temperature sensor with a fixed resistor so that no temperature compensation (increase in the end-of-charge voltage) takes place.

You don't want to fill the battery with this charger, you only want to achieve a corresponding SOC when the solar power is weak. The rest can be done by the solar charger with the set LiPo mode.

2 |3000