question

neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy asked

Smart Shunt not connecting VE Direct Cerbo GX

Just installed a Cerbo GX and Smart Shunt.

Powered everything on, and no smart shunt on the Cerbo. I do see it on bluetooth, so I updated the firmware. I have not yet tried a full power cycle. I did reboot the Cerbo a few times.

Not sure if related, but the Multiplus also did not show up on the cerbo. I connected that to VE Bus ethernet port. I plan to try a separate ethernet cable, also had trouble with MK3 to USB adapter to update firmware on Multi.

Was a crazy day. Any advice or trouble shooting ideas would be awesome!

cerbo gxSmartShuntVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

Update: Fresh Ethernet Cable fixed it. Also Brain farded and connected the Multi to the Cerbo ethernet Port, not VE Bus.

VE Direct started working as well. No idea what changed there other than another firmware update on the Smart Shunt. Possible the previous attempt failed.

Component install went great. Then the Cat Diesel engine didn't want to start... that's another story. Thanks!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

you have to connect the smartshunt via VE Direct cable to the cerbo (you cant use bluetooth to do this) Its not clear in your description if you are doing this.

If you have connected by VE Direct then try a shorter Ve-Direct cable - if that works then look for electrical interference being transmitted into the cable. Max length is 10Mtrs

2 |3000

neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

@Paul B Thanks! Yes it is VE Direct, using the stock 6 ft cable. I thought I had it in the title, but you're right I was not clear in the description. I mentioned the bluetooth to signify that the smart shunt was in fact working.

This is for a customer. I'm thinking of pulling a USB to VE direct from a working system to test further. Planning go over with a new Ethernet cable, maybe two for the multiplus.

What you said about EMF might make sense why neither are working. I wonder if there is something going on at that location on this RV that could be generating interference. I've just never seen wired communication to Cerbo or Computer on two devices not work before.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would also take another smartshunt with you just in case that unit has a faulty VE-Direct port

2 |3000

windecker avatar image
windecker answered ·

I had the same issue with my Smartshunt and Cerbo. Via another post with the same issue, they updated the Cerbo firmware to 2.93 and it fixed it. I tried it and fixed my issue also.

2 |3000