question

justin huntress avatar image
justin huntress asked

on grid 48/3000 with fronius 6kw 1:1

Hi, I have a Multigrid 48/3000with a fronius 6kw inverter fed from 7.8kw of panels. I was reading info regarding the 1:1 rule. I really just want to run of the batteries during night and obviously charge during the day. Is there any way to configure the multigrid so that it also shuts down during a blackout, if so would that mean I can forget about the 1:1 rule. Otherwise is my only option to buy a second 48/3000 in parallel. Thanks

multigrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi Justin

This is presuming the PV is connected to the AC1 OUT of the Multi

if you dont want to damage the Multiplus unit or your batteries OR the voltage will go sky high and blow up all you connect 230 gear, reduce the panel size or change to battery charging directly using MPPT.

the reason victron has the rule, is the power has to go somewhere when there is a grid failure, and if you have a 3000 unit and you ram 6000 watts into it from the PV , it will shit itself or it will ram it into the batteries and if thats not enough it will let the output voltage go sky hi. its not a instant PV turn off as the HZ has to increase.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Another way is to move the PV to the AC in of the multi. however when the power goes down so does the PV, but the inverter will continue to operate

2 |3000

justin huntress avatar image
justin huntress answered ·

Thanks paul, Although the solar system is in place, i am yet to connect the Multi and batteries. Also I have a fronius smart meter installed,limiting feed in to 5kw as per local requirements. Like i said, I would like to charge batteries with excess pv during the day and use during the night, will connecting to the AC on the multi achieve this? As in Grid to PV/AC Multi, to AC1 out to circuits.

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Yes this works, you need either an external current sensor coupled to the multigrid, or (better option) an energy meter coupled to a Venus device.

1 Like 1 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

connecting the Grid and the PV units to the ac IN and the loads to ac 1out of the multi would just give you power backup on grid failure.

for this to work how you are requesting you would need a bigger inverter to match your panel output size so a 5000 VA or another 3000 unit.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic