question

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis asked

CAN Bus signal voltage?

quick question, modifying and getting ready to test a diybms setup with my victron system. I have a general understanding of CAN bus from my involvement with N2K. However, I never had to check the voltage level that has to be supported by the system. So does VenusOS (rpi or CCGX) expect 3V3 or 5V transceiver chips to communicate? Can I get away with 3V3? It's for a bus between the BMS and the VenusOS.

cheers

V.

BMSVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis answered ·

answering my own question!

happy with 5V as communicated from diyBMS. Didn't try 3V3, may do so at a later point.

Now stuck with sorting out two can busses running on the same raspberry (one for N2K and one for the LifePO4 BMS)

cheers

V.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

I suspect you are talking about the signal between the Can HAT on the RPI and the RPI itself. The can standard is for 12v signal on the wire.

If you are and it is this jumper in the picture

1639589961321.png

Then suggest you read the WIKI for the Can HAT, as it is the logic level switch and if set incorrectly will likely damage the RPI. See this snapshot from the WIKI

1639590125017.png

Just do a search in google for "raspberry pi gpio logic level"

0 Likes 0 ·
1639589961321.png (351.6 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page