question

bezda avatar image
bezda asked

Victron GX LTE as a failover

Does anyone here uses Victron GX LTE as a failover for their GX device? I'd like my Cerbo to use my wifi router by default and automatically switch to GX LTE when I switch off the router to save energy. According to manual the Cerbo does automatically switch between Ethernet and WIFI, but no mention of LTE https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/internet-connectivity.html#UUID-3d87b06d-37ea-8e8c-64e2-3723b602fe88

cerbo gx4g
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bezda avatar image
bezda answered ·
To answer my own question - this can be achieved by setting a Cerbo to 'restart when no contact' in the vrm portal settings. For this to work, the router must be offline
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Andre avatar image
Andre answered ·

That is excatly what I wan to know, too.

Anyone?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Another option would be a router with built-in LTE or that accepts a USB cell data adapter.

I just upgraded my RV WiFi system to a WifiRanger Spruce internal router and Teton external WiFi. The Spruce accepts a USB cell adapter and in the configuration menus allows you to prioritize the WiFi over cell data (or visa-versa).

The down side to this approach is it might not meet your need for low power. Spruce is about 6 watts. Teton adds another 6-8 watts.

2 |3000

Related Resources