question

boeta avatar image
boeta asked

Advice for bush trailer DC charge system

I am planning to upgrade my dual battery charging system in my trailer, using a Orion, MPPT, IP65 AC DC and the BMV712 smart shunt units. However I am not sure if my setup as in the attachment is correct and I will appreciate any comments on this setup please.

Charging system for dual battery setup.pdf

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks similar to mine. Should be good. But isolators/fuses on the battery would be good.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boeta avatar image
boeta answered ·

Thank you for the comment, I completed the installation, only one problem is that the BMV unit does not measure the correct voltage of the starter battery, it only measure 0.72 V instead of 13V. I am not sure why.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Do you have a good negative connection between the starter battery and the load side of the shunt?

2 |3000

boeta avatar image
boeta answered ·

Thank you for the advice.

The negative of my starter battery does not connect directly to the load side of the shunt, the (-) from the starter battery is wired to the (- Input) of the Orion and the (- output) of the Orion connects to the load side of the shunt.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

That's probably the problem. But the negatives on the Orion are common, I think.

3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
But they're probably not not on the isolated ones. Will check tomorrow
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Checked. Negatives are not joined, but are isolated on the isolated Orions. At least mine is like that.
0 Likes 0 ·
boeta avatar image boeta kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you for your help!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic