question

dave-hakkens avatar image
dave-hakkens asked

Upgraded battery. How to see the capacity changed?

Hi.
We recently upgraded doubled our battery pack from 10.5KW to 21KW.
But at this point we are not 100% sure if we installed it correctly. Feels like we didn't gain much.

Is there a way to see the battery capacity in VRM or Victron Connect?
Just to double check. Or are there other ways to validate?

We have now 6x polytech us3000c modules connected with Cerbo GX.
Below a picture of our System
Here you can see our Public Dashboard: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/110710/share/9a592d37

Thanks for the help

img-2701.jpg

batterybattery capacity
img-2701.jpg (2.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
dave-hakkens avatar image
dave-hakkens answered ·

I figured it out. For anyone else with the problem:

The Polytech battery wasn't properly connected to the Cerbo GX.
The battery readings we got so far in VRM probably came from the Inverter or MPPT.

Anyway the battery uses this cable to connect to the Cerbo GX. But apparently, I put it the wrong way around. Wasn't aware these things have a direction. (To be fair it is written on the cable. hehe)

img-2705.jpg

img-2707.jpg

After this the batteries finally showed up in the control panel.
Each battery is about 36AMP. So I can confirm all batteries are installed!
Jeej

01qu14hz.png

img-2707.jpg (1.6 MiB)
img-2705.jpg (1.8 MiB)
01qu14hz.png (22.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The pylon BMS is a bit dumb, It doesn't show you how many modules are online or any interesting data beyond its charge/discharge limits.

You can set it on the inverter via veconfigure (general tab) but this should be mostly ignored anyway as the BMS will be controlling what the batteries need.

Just make sure all the flashing lights are as per the pylon setup and the batteries are online.

The rest is up to the digital fairies.

2 |3000

marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@Dave Hakkens

I have a SmartShunt in my system and I can see on VRM how much energy I can take out from my battery.

screen-shot-2021-11-01-at-10540-pm.png

P.S Take that blue/orange box from the top of the right battery compartment. It covers the ventilation holes. :)

2 |3000

Alexander Kunz avatar image
Alexander Kunz answered ·

Have you checked the BMS details on Remote Console?

bildschirmfoto-2021-11-01-um-133302.png

6 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
None of our pylons have that as an option.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexander Kunz avatar image Alexander Kunz nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
What firmware are you using on the Pylontech?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Alexander Kunz commented ·
Whatever they shipped with (BMS doesn't report that either).
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexander Kunz avatar image Alexander Kunz nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
You have to ask your distributor for an update if you like to see this informations on the Remote Console.
0 Likes 0 ·
dave-hakkens avatar image dave-hakkens commented ·
yeh would love to see this. But it doesnt show that information.

Can you update BMS yourself?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexander Kunz avatar image Alexander Kunz dave-hakkens commented ·

You could, but that's your risk during the warranty period.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Dave Hakkens

From your VRM, the SOC does appear to be rising too quickly for the energy input. It appears to be more in line with a 3x pack rather than the 6x.

A quote from https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

"This parameters page is also a good place to check that all batteries are connected and working properly. In see the individual battery data sheet for the normal working conditions, e.g. the current limit per cell. For example, If each battery is rated to 25A charge current, and the menu shows a 75A charge current limit ( 75 / 25 = 3 ) means there are 3 Pylontech battery modules connected."

I don't think there's anywhere else on the Victron side of things that you can look.
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic