question

ccraven avatar image
ccraven asked

Smart Charge Controller placement

Hi, I'd like to make a small off-grid system with a SLA battery and smart charge controller. Is it safe to place the Smart Controller in the same box as a SLA battery? I read that SLA batteries can still release some gases and want to ensure my small setup is safe. Can the smart charge controllers cause any sparks?

Many thanks!

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

For the controller(s) you're considering, download the manual, these have installation instructions. The ones I've read say mount near, but not over the battery. Would be good, probably essential to ventilate the battery compartment. This will allow gas (if any) to vent and help with heat build up. But SLA batteries will only release gas if you abuse them. And this shortens their life, so design with plenty of capacity.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bautista89 avatar image
bautista89 answered ·

The intelligent Load output function prevents damage caused by running batteries 'flat'. You can configure the voltage at which SmartSolar disconnects a load. official site

2 |3000