question

nathanatan avatar image
nathanatan asked

500a Smart Shunt not monitoring correctly

I have a 500a smart shunt attached to 2 300ah lithium batteries connected through parallel wiring to my RV. I connected the shunt correctly with the negative from the battery going to the side that say battery and the other to the rv. I am connected through onshore power yet the shunt shows 4.4amp draw. This continued until it showed 0 SOC but the voltage was still 13.3 and shore power was still powering the coach. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

eb05bca3-5305-4f5a-96f0-c3b47d055dab.png

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Is your battery charger connected to the battery or is your chassis cable connected to the battery so any current in these cases bypasses the shunt. The charger and negative chassis cable must connected to the load side of the shunt. The only thing that should be connected to the negative terminal on the batteries is the shunt, everything else must go to the load side of the shunt to make sure all current flow has to pass through the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nathanatan avatar image
nathanatan answered ·

i Have a magnum 2012 inverter/charger that is connected to the chassis cable. That cable is connected to the shunt and not the battery to the side of the shunt that says “To system minus”. I then connected the battery negative to the shunt that says “to battery minus”. Did i connect properly?

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

A drawing of your wiring would be good to avoid any doubt about your description.

Another thing to test is if you turn off your charging and all loads, does the shunt read zero, if not it may need the zero setting.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic