question

bjsorensen avatar image
bjsorensen asked

SmartShunt 500a Won't Allow Manual State of Charge

Hi all,

I have a SmartShunt 500a installed with 3 - 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries. In the Victron app, I have applied the default battery settings for those batteries. For the past few months, the SmartShunt operated "normally". However, I've noticed 2 unique things that I haven't been able to figure out.

1. I tried updating the state of charge (SOC), but the Victron app won't accept my changes. It takes whatever I enter and automatically changes it to 100%. I know that my batteries are not at 100% capacity for several reasons.
  2. The Victron app shows 20 total synchronizations, although I've only manually synchronized 3 or 4 times. This entire system, including the batteries, is new as of May 2021 and I have not cycled the batteries more than 3 times. So, I'm curious why it synchronizes so much. Is that "random" synchronization related to the issue I'm having with manually setting the SOC?

I'm happy to attach any images of the Victron app and I welcome any thoughts. Thanks!

SmartShuntSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Try checking the 'charged voltage' setting of the shunt. If the battery exceeds this voltage, the shunt will think it's fully charged, so If it is too low, the shunt will keep synchronising every time the voltage crosses this threshold. Try raising it 50 - 100mV to see if this fixes the problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brian-kent avatar image
brian-kent answered ·

This Q&A is over a year old, and the answer posted did not resolve my problem. A VictronConnect update installed yesterday, v5.81, and the SmartShunt firmware is v4.12. I had disconnected my battery from the charging system following proper procedures. When I reconnected the battery the shunt for SOC showed “—“. I opened the Settings—Battery and tapped “State-of-Charge” to manually set SOC, but the feature was “dead.” I noticed a new option above this setting, “Battery SOC reset” with three choices; Clear, Set to 100%, and Keep SOC (probably part of the recent update). I tried selecting options “Clear” and “Keep SOC,” but the State-of-Charge setting Was still “dead.” Then I selected the third option, “Set to 100%.” State-of-Charge now showed “100%.” Now, I was able to manually set the estimated SOC. it seems, after the recent firmware updates that if the SmartShunt app shows “—“ as SOC and you cannot manually set SOC in Settings-State-of-Charge (option is dead), first reset SOC to 100% from Settings—Battery SOC reset—Set to 100%, then you will be able to manually set SOC.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic