question

hsaman avatar image
hsaman asked

trouble with ET340 connection by new Zigbee 485(DRF2659c), USB (DRF2658c) module

Hi there,

please, let me ask for help if possible with the new zigbee RS485 (DRF2659C) and USB(DRF2658C) module that I would like to use for wireless connection of ET340 to Venus OS.

I have trouble with them to be recognized be Venus OS (2.73 and 2.80). I find out that zigbee modules come with quite new firmware v8.5 and it has ID_MODEL=USB_Serial, that I have adjusted in "serial-starter.rules", in "start_cgwacs.sh" and I have played around also with serial-starter.conf. Without success till now.

When I do wired connection all works well and ET340 is recognized as device ID:345 with 2571291A number and is visible by Venus OS . See screenshot 1.

When I set it with zigbee, there is no info about find cgwacs device. See screenshot 2.

Any suggestion what I could try is welcome? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hynek

1. Wired connection

1635099812135.png

2. Zigbee connection

1635099981883.png

3. USB-zigbee module1635099868359.png

Venus OSEnergy Meterrs485
1635099812135.png (37.7 KiB)
1635099868359.png (122.4 KiB)
1635099981883.png (27.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Dennis Leth Andersen avatar image
Dennis Leth Andersen answered ·

Hi hsaman,

I had exact the same issue with my installation. But managed to get it up to work.

This is how I did.

First downloaded the DTK zigbee Application software.

Change the speed to 9600.

Downloaded the Carlo Gavazzi UCS 7 - Universal Configuration Software

Connected the USB to Zigbee to the computer.

Connected the Zigbee to RS485 to the ET340 meter and power up.

Open the Carlo Gavazzi software

Select the connection menu and select the correct COM port for the USB.

The two zigbee modules will now pair, and LED will flash.

When live date coming from the ET340 meter.is shown on the computer.

Re-connect the USB to RS485 to the Cerbo GX, push the funk button 3 times and it works.

Hopes this will help you.

//Dennis

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pau1phi11ips avatar image pau1phi11ips commented ·

For anyone else getting here and having a headache trying to find the DTK Zigbee Application software. Current version is here: http://www.dtkcn.com/download/DTK_Module_Setup_20211112.rar

But probably worth checking http://www.dtkcn.com/ with Chinese to English translation on to check if there's a newer version.

0 Likes 0 ·
dimiwa avatar image dimiwa commented ·

Hi Dennis,

Apart from the EM (I have EM-24 RS485) I have the same setup. (Exactly same Zigbee's and Cerbo GX).

My story:

• With USB-2-RS485 cable connected between Cerbo GX and EM24, I see the EM24 in Cerbo GX
  • With the Zigbee's I don't get the EM24 connected

What I already did:

• I followed your procedure exactly to change Zigbee's setting to 9600-N-1 (no parity bit and 1 stop bit) and can connect to the EM24 using the CG7 software with the USB-to-Zigbee connected to my PC. (And yes, after connecting I have to triple click the reset button on the USB-to-Zigbee, if I don't it does not work)
  • When I reconnect USB-2-Zigbee to Cerbo GX and triple click the reset button, I still do not see the EM24 in Cerbo GX.

Very strange situation because I know that the Zigbee connection works.
On the other hand the Cerbo GX can read information from EM24 when I used the wired USB-to-RS485.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Dimitri

PS: Zigbee version 8.5. Cerbo GX in firmware 2.92. I already tried a factory reset to.

0 Likes 0 ·
hsaman avatar image
hsaman answered ·

Just a little time after I write question above, I find out solution, by lowering zigbee module speed from 38400 to 9600 and suddenly zigbee communication begins and power measured appears on Venus OS main screen.

2 |3000

dimiwa avatar image
dimiwa answered ·

Hi all,

Apart from the EM (I have EM-24 RS485) I have the same setup as Dennis. (Exactly same Zigbee's and Cerbo GX).

My story:

• With USB-2-RS485 cable connected between Cerbo GX and EM24, I see the EM24 in Cerbo GX
  • With the Zigbee's I don't get the EM24 connected

What I already did:

• I followed your procedure exactly to change Zigbee's setting to 9600-N-1 (no parity bit and 1 stop bit) and can connect to the EM24 using the CG7 software with the USB-to-Zigbee connected to my PC. (And yes, after connecting I have to triple click the reset button on the USB-to-Zigbee, if I don't it does not work)
  • When I reconnect USB-2-Zigbee to Cerbo GX and triple click the reset button, I still do not see the EM24 in Cerbo GX.

Very strange situation because I know that the Zigbee connection works.
On the other hand the Cerbo GX can read information from EM24 when I used the wired USB-to-RS485.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Dimitri

PS: Zigbee version 8.5. Cerbo GX in firmware 2.92. I already tried a factory reset to.

3 comments
2 |3000

ajmacleod avatar image ajmacleod commented ·

Hi Dimitri, did you buy your DFR2659C as a Victron product? If you bought it from elsewhere, yours might have a different USB Device ID and the Cerbo won't recognise it.

See the instructions in this thread to add the Device ID to the UDEV rules;

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/153482/energy-meter-et112-zigbee-ccgx.html

Note that you now need to run a script to get read/write access to the filesystem,

/opt/victronenergy/swupdate-scripts/remount-rw.sh

I have had success with this today with my ET112, DFR2658C and DFR2659C; the ET112 is now showing on the dashboard/console.

1 Like 1 ·
dimiwa avatar image dimiwa ajmacleod commented ·
Hi,

You helped me out, it works!!!

Thanks a lot.

Dimitri

1 Like 1 ·
dimiwa avatar image dimiwa ajmacleod commented ·
Hi,

I bought them as Victron products but what I experience seems to match exactly with yours... So I guess there is a chance your post will help me out.

Thanks a lot and I will let you know.

Cheers, Dimitri

0 Likes 0 ·
steveo-1 avatar image
steveo-1 answered ·

Hello everyone, I have another problem that is very related to this topic.

I made the mistake and bought the DRF2659C (485) and DRF2658C (USB) individually at the large “Amaz..” department store. Both parts were delivered directly from China and therefore the “DRF2659C (485)” is not as prepared as I bought the two Zigbee as a Victron product.

I have already set up the DRF2658C (Zigbee USB) on the PC, as described excellently above.

Now my question. How can I program the Zigbee 485 (DRF2659C) to make it Victron Cerbo GX compliant?

I would be very, very happy to receive numerous ideas and solutions. :-)

(Gladly as a step-by-step guide)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Energy Meter Selection Guide