question

debbieskipper avatar image
debbieskipper asked

Yacht, combining Wind & Solar Controller: Is it possible to supplement the 220v Shore Power without first charging up the consumer Battery Bank?

I'm planning to install a green energy bank, either 2 solar panels & a wind turbine or doubled up on my 53' sailing boat that has shore power, inverter, 6kva generator & 4*220Ah AGM consumer batteries bank (24v, 18 months old,) and Victron Skylla-TG 24 50 Battery Charger. Max output from the Bank could be either 500w or 1kw. I've noted Genny output of 20 amps (reducing) with the water heater switched on.

Is is possible to get a Controller such that the 'green energy' is transformed up to 220v and used to supplement the shore power feeding the Victron Skylla Controller as opposed having to run off the Inverter? I'm also intending to sail across the Atlantic to Canada & USA.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Yes - you could fit Grid connect inverters for the PV and Wind generator - BUT this is not a good idea - if you are intending to go sailing. After 11 years sailing and 57,000 miles, we found that putting all energy into the DC bank and then providing such ac as was necessary. MOST of the loads were 24V: Navigation, lights autopilot etc, so dc charging makes more sense.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.