question

immanuel avatar image
immanuel asked

Connecting 123SmartBMS to Phoenix Inverter Compact

Dear victron-community,

I would like to turn my Phoenix Inverter Compact On and Off with my 123SmartBMS to protect miy LiFePO-batteries. Unfortunately the inverter doesn´t have auxiliary inputs as the new multi- or quatro-models have. So my question is the following:

Can I use the remote connector on the Phoenix Inverter Compact for remote switch to controll it with the load-relay of my 123Smart BMS?

Has anybody experience with it? In the FAQ of the 123SmartBMS there is a section on "How to control a victron device.". Unfortunately the use case for a Phoenix Inverter Compact is not well elaborated. A video on youtube shows that it is possible with a Phoenix Inverter but doesn´t explain how the connection is made.

Here are my sysem specifications:

Inverter:

• Phoenix Inverter Compact 24Volt/2000VA, 230V

Battery Management System:

• 123SmartBMS gen3

Battery:

• 8x LLiFeYPO4-3.3V/90Ah
  • row connection to 24V-System
BMSPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I know that the main physical on off switch, I believe has a connector on the inside that you can wire the allow to discharge relay to from the 123smartbms, but I don't have a phoenix to look and see.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

immanuel avatar image
immanuel answered ·

Hello @nebulight, thank you for your response.

The only possible connector that my Victron Phoenix Inverter Compact 24V/2000VA-230V has for this is the "Connector for remote switch" which consists of 3 pins CH, COM and IN (see Appendix A, Connector L in Inverter Manual on p.115).

But in all explanations from victron that I could find regarding the controll of an inverter by an external non-victron BMS, they always talk about connecting to the aux-input (refer to "Connecting other lithium systems to Multis and Quattros-Manual").

Since my Inverter is not a Multi or Quattro, it doesn´t have an aux-input but just the "Connector for remote switch" which is intended for a remote three-way-switch. So in theory it should work to take the BMS-Relays instead of a physical three way switch. I´m just concerned because I can´t find any explanation or wiring diagramthing about it.

So basically my question boils down to this:

Is it possible to control a victron inverter by an external non-victron BMS (in my case 123SmartBMS gen3) using the inverters "Connector for remote switch". If yes, how is the exact wiring?

2 |3000