question

troubledog avatar image
troubledog asked

Adding a physical monitor like the BMV-700 to an existing Smart Shunt?

I already have a Smart Shunt that includes the bluetooth connection. I'm pleased with the phone access and Victron app - however I'd like to go ahead and add a physical readout display, something that looks like the BMV-700. However, I don't need to purchase another shunt. Is there a way to add just the monitor readout to my existing Smart Shunt without purchasing the entire BMV-700 kit which also comes with a shunt?

SmartShuntmonitoring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·
A semi qualified speculation on my part, as I have both: The BMV has it s electronics and VE.Direct port on the display unit which connects to the shunt via a cable with RJ12 connectors. The SmartShunt obviously has its electronics on board as well as the VE.Direct port. This leads me to conclude that it is most likely not possible to add a victron display to the SmartShunt.

An alternative might be a VE.Direct to USB cable connected to any device which can run VE.Connect and use it as a wired monitor. Not the simplest solution if a smartphone or tablet is used because both the lack of USB ports (need power too) and the uncertainty whether the device software-wise can use the USB to serial interface connected to it.

Just a few thoughts.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@troubledog

@MrHappy is correct. The only way to add screen monitoring is to connect GX device or one of mrhappy's other suggestions. The smaet shunt was never designed for the same use at the 700 range.

0 Likes 0 ·
dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

I would find it handy to have both also.

My thoughts are to drill and tap the other side of the shunt base and have the Smartshunt PCB on one side of the shunt and the BMV700 PCB on the other side of the shunt.

I have both a Smartshunt and a BMV sitting in my garage, currently only using the BMV to my Venus GX.

I Will give it a go next week and let you fellow forum posters know how it goes

2 |3000

troubledog avatar image
troubledog answered ·

thanks for the responses and help. I'm not sure where this leaves me. Wondering if its worth considering just to swallow the spent cost of the smart shunt and just buy the BMV version with the bluetooth, so I can have both the display monitor and use of a bluetooth app.

2 |3000

heinphoto avatar image
heinphoto answered ·

I'm not sure this will help, but I have a SmartShunt and a SmartSolar 100/30 mppt. They are both connected to a BlueTooth VE.Smart Network, so the mppt uses the current and voltage from the SmartShunt. I had a MPPT Control display unit I wasn't using, so I hooked it up to the SmartSolar controller with a VE Direct cable. This allows me to monitor the battery voltage and current as reported by the SmartShunt through the MPPT Control display mounted in a cabinet. So, this would work for you if you also are using a SmartSolar mppt controller, and if you just want to monitor the battery voltage and current reported by the SmartShunt. The MPPT Control display is the same size as the BMV Display, so if you would later decide to switch to replace SmartShunt with the BMV, it would be easy to swap the display out of a panel.

FWIW...

1 comment
2 |3000

heinphoto avatar image heinphoto commented ·
One qualification to the above. The battery current reported by the mppt also includes any loads being supplied by the mppt. So, it won't necessarily display the current reported by the SmartShunt depending on the status of solar generation...
0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

I have an older Nokia 5.1 phone permanently attached to the wall of our motorhome alongside other meters powered from a USB outlet running the VictronConnect app.

The phone sits in a silicon sleeve double sided taped to the wall making it easily removable for updates etc.

I set the display to the largest fonts. It has survived 24/7 operation for the last two years.

Perfect so far.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic