question

luckybeanz avatar image
luckybeanz asked

cerbo gx bluetooth disappeared

I have two cerbo gx devices on different battery banks, they have been set up almost identical aside for voltages, both are connected to the same wi-fi, both have REC BMS integrated. They were both working fine for some time, then oneday the bluetooth on one of them just stopped working. No blinking blue light. I have searched and can't find where to re-enable it nor does reset work.

I can still access it [the cerbo] via the cerbo inbuilt wifi but can't find where to enable the bluetooth again. The other cerbo does not have this issue.

cerbo gxBluetooth
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nicholas avatar image nicholas commented ·
I have the same issue with the Bluetooth light not being on even though it’s is enabled in settings.
1 Like 1 ·
5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @luckybeanz, and others.

The built in bluetooth functionality in the Cerbo GX is limited to the initial configuration of an external wifi network.

Due to a limitation with the chip only operating at low temperatures, in order to see the built-in bluetooth connection the unit must be cold, such as when it first starts up. The built-in bluetooth availability can then disappear once the unit warms up (depending on ambient temperature and other loads on the Cerbo).

This is obviously not ideal, but the work around is that this external wifi network configuration function is also available via the built in wifi hotspot (connection details to this built in wifi hotspot are shown on a sticker on the Cerbo GX, and more details available in the Cerbo GX manual here - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/accessing-the-gx-device.html

I have heard some customers make the assumption that built in bluetooth connection can be used for more than just the initial setup of a wifi network password when first booting up - but there is no functionality beyond that.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

luckybeanz avatar image luckybeanz commented ·

I accepted this as the answer, but really it is not a valid answer and victron needs to resolve this another way. There is a number of reasons for this. For example, the device keeps disappearing from the Victron connect app, meaning WiFi is needed to access the device, sometimes wifi (with internet is not available) meaning VRM does not work, can still access remote console via local LAN, but it is sooo slow!

Though even more so it means that certain functionality just won't work, like bluetooth sensors. as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj_aOZH2lPg

1 Like 1 ·
johnswimer avatar image johnswimer commented ·
This is very helpful. My GX is in a compartment in my RV. The ambient temperature is over 100 degrees F today, so no wonder my BT connection has disappeared after I updated the firmware and got my unit onto my wifi.
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-tarkleson avatar image eric-tarkleson commented ·
Hi Guy, I am just woncering about this with regards to the Ruuvi tags. Because we were using Ruuvi tags to ensure the air conditioners in some of our larger installs are working correctly. Victron built-in bluetooth is not meant for Ruuvi tags? We should install a bluetooth dongle to ensure this functionality?

Cheers - ET

0 Likes 0 ·
eric-tarkleson avatar image eric-tarkleson eric-tarkleson commented ·

https://ruuvi.com/ruuvitag-victron-bluetooth-dongle/ Found the answer myself. Wish I had known this earlier. But still a cool product.

0 Likes 0 ·
tom-dv avatar image
tom-dv answered ·

WiFi, so u can connect to VRM? In VRM, touch the screen, click on menu, click on settings, click on Bluetooth, enable Bluetooth.

2 comments
2 |3000

luckybeanz avatar image luckybeanz commented ·
It doesn't do anything. The firmware is the latest too and doesn't show any failed states. Resetting the cerbo the bluetooth light comes on for a few seconds then turns off again.

I've also just found that my other cerbo also won't connect via bluetooth now, though it still shows that bluetooth is enabled. I'd say victron bluetooth is somewhat buggy.

0 Likes 0 ·
stevomyatt avatar image stevomyatt luckybeanz commented ·
I am also having issues with the bluetooth on the Cerbo. New installation about a month old, bluetooth worked for a couple of weeks then has stopped. Did a factory reset using a USB which worked, but then I upgraded the firmware and it stopped again. Did another factory reset and still no bluetooth.
0 Likes 0 ·
arjan avatar image
arjan answered ·

Here also cerbo gx 2 weeks old, no bluetooth funtionality anymore tried everything incl reset botton.

Shows enabled in remote console

2 comments
2 |3000

Stephen avatar image Stephen commented ·
I have this problem too on a new unit. It is very frustrating and even more frustrating Victron have not answered the question here ?
0 Likes 0 ·
jm0278 avatar image jm0278 Stephen commented ·
@arjan @Stephen I have a Cerbo GX that has been installed since last April and working fine. But in the recent past, the unit has been experiencing more and more communications errors. Yesterday, for the first time, the Bluetooth just turned off. Doing a soft reboot via the console did not fix it. I had to cold boot it by yanking the power. Something has changed recently, and I don't think it's anything here. As for temperature affecting the Bluetooth chip, my installation is indoors with a constant temperature in the low 70's F.
0 Likes 0 ·
Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

I also had my Bluetooth menu completely disappear from my settings menu when I first upgraded my Cerbo to the latest firmware. When I reverted back to the previous firmware,the Bluetooth menu came back. I posted about it here when it happened (I believe in early October). I left it for 24 hours and and then reinstalled the latest firmware release and everything worked normally. I don’t know what the issue was, but it it sounds like my case wasn’t isolated.

2 |3000

palli avatar image
palli answered ·

Three times in one month, Cerbo has deleted wifi settings and the fourth time I connected it via Bluetooth, Bluetooth disappeared. This is a large system in a house and I am very frightened of going on a trip.

2 |3000