question

sonale avatar image
sonale asked

Can it shut down automatically when batteries hit 70%?

Hi, I have 12 panels and 12 batteries, with the following system:

• VE.Bus System - MultiPlus 24/5000/120-100
  • Battery Monitor - BMV-700
  • Gateway - Color Control GX
  • Solar Charger - BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/70 (VE.Can)

I understand that if my batteries dip to less than around 70% charge then this can damage them. My normal daily cycle only takes them down to about 93% but if I get 3 consecutive days of dense cloud then they could plausibly reach 70%. If I'm at home when that happens then its not a problem, I can just manually switch the system off and run a petrol generator for a bit until the sun comes out again. But if it happens when I am away from home and there's only a house sitter then that could be an issue. So what I would like to know is whether there is a way to program the color control to automatically shut down the system if the batteries hit 70%? That way my batteries are protected.

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

I don't think that you can achieve this with the CCGX alone. But you could use the generator auto start/stop functionality to easily trigger an external relay connected to the Multi AC output.

Another option would be to wire everything to AC OUT 2 on the Multi and configure a Multi assistant based on SOC to trigger AC OUT 2 on & off as desired. This would however require a MK3 to USB cable and be setup using VE Configure.

In the long term maybe also consider investing in a generator with externally controlable electric start. That way the CCGX could be setup to automatically start the generator instead.

Lastly if you are using deep cycle lead acid it's normally not a big deal if you go down to ~50% SOC (or even a bit further) every once in a while - it's just not good practice to do it every day / frequently. The negative effect is accumulative rather than instant. The main concern should be to get the battery charged up to 100% again ASAP, as opposed to letting it sit in a partially charged state.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sonale avatar image sonale commented ·

Thanks a lot for the reply, I'll pass your suggestion on to a friend who is a bit more clued up with this stuff than me and see if we can rig something up :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ sonale commented ·

No worries - best of luck & let us know how it all goes!

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Sonale, Just a idea,

Keep under consideration that you can get victon support businesses to remotely support you and do the system programing without coming to site, you may have to change a few wires around or add some but this would be low voltage stuff and easy to do under instruction over the phone or by email, if need be, but basically what Mark has suggested would work.

2 |3000