question

cstenger avatar image
cstenger asked

ORION Tr-Smart Remote Input inactive

Guys, I‘m really fucked up now. It worked for a long time, anf all of a sudden the remote input turned inactive without a cause.

Voltages are ok, jumper is ok and plugged. Anyone experienced this?

4fdca4ce-a35e-4708-be11-c717ade42e3e.png

orion-tr smart
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cstenger avatar image cstenger commented ·
Now guess what. After about 30min drive it ‚accepted‘ the jumper and it started to charge. No recognizable coincidence whatsoever.

I‘m clueless.

0 Likes 0 ·
Today the same: remote input inactive and after 40min drive it started charging.

It never did that when I was using 12V at the H pin.

0 Likes 0 ·

There is a coincidence:

When I first installed the Orion, it was March 2020, ambient temps around 10°C, the L-H jumper didn't work, 12V to H-Pin was my workaround.

A few weeks ago I was curious if the jumper would work, it did. Ambient temps well above 20°C.

Now, temps again 15°C and below, it took 30-40min drive to switch to active. Because it warmed up!

My guess is a cold soldering of the L-Pin on the PCB, or a hairline crack of the line on the PCB to the L-Pin. Proof: I put 12V to H and it turned active. I put ground to L and it stayed inactive.

Dunno if I'm right, but when I'm back from vacation I will tear everything apart anyways to swap the 90Ah GEL with 250Ah LiFePO4 anyways, and then I will dismantle the Orion and have a look.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nope. Did check it several times, as the jumper cable and terminal screws as well.
0 Likes 0 ·
spirare avatar image
spirare answered ·

Hi,

I have a very similar problem with the remote. I use the H pin to 12V to turn ON & Off the charger and it worked for a while and now it does not. Shorting L & H does not turn the charger on either like it use to. The Engine Shutdown Detection Override option is OFF so according to section 4.4 of the manual, the charger should turn ON when H pin voltage is above 7V.

Strangely, if the Output of the charger is disconnected and reconnected, then the charger is turned ON regardless of the status of H or L pins. It also turns itself OFF if H pin voltage goes high...which is contrary to normal operation. This seems to indicate that the charger function still works but the remote pins L & H function does not anymore.

Any thoughts from your experience?

2 |3000