question

kevin-b avatar image
kevin-b asked

why bulk at night

why would a 250/100 stay in bulk all night ? its dark outside...

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@kevin_b

The bulk state is triggered by the battery discharging to the rebulk voltage. (Or just under float)

So it is more of a reflection of the point at which you battery is at.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevin-b avatar image kevin-b commented ·
when there's no sun,,, they try to charge the batts... it don't just shut off at night?,,, if not that's just stupid
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevin-b commented ·

It depends on if it is part of a system or not.

Mine with no system is in bulk. Part of other systems is reported as off at night by the vrm. But the bulk light is on on the mppt.

The vrm had an update and does seem to have the state wrong on some installs. So is recording or reporting oncorrect states.

But at night the mppt will be in a low power state. Can be checked with the meter.

0 Likes 0 ·
pmikep avatar image
pmikep answered ·

My SmartSolar shows Charge State: Off at night.

Has your SmartSolar ever shut off at night?

If not, then 1) it could be a bad MPPT. 2} If not, it could be a miswire on your part. 3) It could be that a street light (or similar) is shining on your solar panel(s), making enough voltage to fool the MPPT into thinking it is daylight at night.

What voltage and current does the SmartSolar report as coming from your panel(s) at night?

2 comments
2 |3000

kevin-b avatar image kevin-b commented ·
hi,, ya it was always off at night,, but the last update on my 250/100 messed it all up,, in the last week,, its a hit and miss,,2 days ago,, it was in bulk,, last night was in off mode,, tonight off mode,, i did nothing deferent ,, it seems to be a crap shoot

0 Likes 0 ·
pmikep avatar image pmikep kevin-b commented ·
Okay. This is the first that I heard that it stopped functioning correctly after a firmware update. Sounds like a bug then. In which case you might want to change the title of this post to include "Bug Report" and elaborate more about this failure.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic