question

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra asked

Orion TR (not smart) battery charging

The Orion DC to DC has "Adjustable output voltage: can also be used as a battery charger".

I am going to assume that the Orion tr does not have a charge algorithm (bulk, absorption, float) like the Orion smart models since it only has one voltage that is adjusted. So, do you just set a bulk voltage? Would it reduce its amperage output based on what the battery is drawing and stop charging. Or is there (or should there be) another mechanism that prevents overcharging on a longer drive?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It would charge with full current until it reaches the preset Voltage as set by the rotary switch.
The is will be in an "Absorb" stage where the Voltage will be maintained and the current will reduce as the battery absorbs the charge. No Float stage of course, so it just sits at the same Voltage the whole time, which isn't much good for the battery.
So, maybe choose a lower Voltage to prevent overcharging on a long journey.

Remember that there is no engine running detection, so don't forget to switch the thing off at your destination.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Alexandra

These can be set to a fixed V only. using a (tiny) screwdriver and multimeter. So you just choose a V you can live with (I picked 13.5V for old fla's). They have 'remote' terminals too, so you can switch via ignition, manual switch, or even a Multi Assistant, etc.

These were around long before the Smart models, which still don't do 48V input. And they can (or could!) output more than their output rating, at least for a while if they don't get hot.

This from my 48/12-20 switched on at 53V from a 48V bank..

1631505251178.png

Coupla stutters early until the solar locked in the 53V switch. The 50W 'tail' doesn't mean much into 675Ah (12V) of lightly loaded old batts (and the chart from just the subtractive DC function anyway).

Still great devices..

1631505251178.png (16.0 KiB)
2 |3000