question

eacheach avatar image
eacheach asked

Grounding MPPT 100/30

Does the unit need to be grounded via the chassis ground screw on the side in an RV application?

Grounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

It will operate without grounding. However it is advised to ground the unit via the ground screw.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

monse53 avatar image monse53 commented ·

On a boat, which has the battery neg connected to 'ground' (engine, keel etc.), I suppose it's ok just to connect the ground screw to the negative battery terminal?

0 Likes 0 ·
conrad-king avatar image conrad-king commented ·
So you connect to the ground screw of the MPPT controller, where does the other end of the ground cable connect to? Chassis of the vehicle or negative bus bar on the distributor?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ conrad-king commented ·
It shouldn't matter, the neg busbar should be grounded to the chassis.
0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Cohen avatar image
Richard Cohen answered ·

@eacheach

I have a unit in the rear of mt 4 x4 , and use a grounding wire to the chassis.

This seem to work well, I also disconnect the MPPT from both solar and battery before using a 250v charger to boost batteries. Not sure if I need to do this but play safe

2 |3000

glen avatar image
glen answered ·

What about a van solar system that is completely isolated from the vehicle electrics. My conversion 12v circuits all take positive from a common bus, all negative returns go to a common bus connected to house batteries. Nothing is connected electrically to the van chassis/body. Should the controller frame ground be connected to the negative busbar?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic