question

vicme3 avatar image
vicme3 asked

No Bluetooth signal (Smartshunt ) - even from inches away

I'm having zero luck getting either my iPhone or MacBook Pro, or the Vitron ConnectApp (Running on the MacBook Pro) to see any Bluetooth signal from the Smartshunt 500 - and I've tried 2 different Smartshunts so far and have held my Apple devices inches away from the Smartshunt.

I've also tried the Smarthshunt with and without connecting a load to the 'System Minus'. Neither arrangement works. The Bluetooth light flashes but neither of my Apple devices sees any Bluetooth signal, nor does the Connect App see any Voctron device.

I haven't tried the Connect App with my iPhone, as I only want to connect via the Mac OS on my MacBook (and don't feel like experimenting using the iPhone under the circumstances).

I'm running OS 'Sierra' 10.12.6 on a 'early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. When I ran the Connect App, downloaded and installed from the Apple AppStore, it caused my computer to get so HOT that I couldn't touch it. So I trashed that app and downloaded the ConnectApp V5.8 from Victrons web site - which ran without issue other than that it also sees no Smartshunt device.

As my iPhone and MacBook are able to see each other's Bluetooth signals, I know their Bluetooth circuity is working. I also reset the Bluetooth in the MacBook and removed all options in preferences to use a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard.

I ordered a VE Direct Smart Bluetooth Dongle to see if that helps any.

Am I missing something?

SmartShuntBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
vicme3 avatar image
vicme3 answered ·

I checked the Smartshunt using an EMF meter - and it appears to transmit a signal in the 2.4GHz range - so I assume it is sending out a Bluetooth signal - just nothing that can communicate with my computer.

I also tried running an earlier version of the Connect App with an earlier version (El Capitan 10.11) of the Mac OS - but it also fails to find any Victron device.

Just to double check, I re-download the newest version of Connect (from Aug 13, 2021) from the Apple App Store - but it continues to burn up my computer by taxing the CPU to nearly 100%.

Victron's Connect App instructions say to not connect via the systems Bluetooth preferences and to, instead, only use only the Connect App. But the system is how Bluetooth connects - so I have no idea what they are talking about.

I should have the Victron Bluetooth dongle tomorrow, so I'll see if that does anything different; and I may also try the VE USB dongle - as that is supposed to work with the Smarshunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vicme3 avatar image
vicme3 answered ·

Some Success: Got the Bluetooth to connect using my iPhone 6. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if attaching the VE Bluetooth dongle, or a third party BT dongle on the computer, will enable the MacBook to connect.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if there's a way to add a wire antenna to the Bluetooth transmission line, so as to route the signal outside of any steel box that it may be desirable to place the device within (but which would otherwise inhibit the signal from radiating outward? Or might the VE BT Dongle achieve that?

1 comment
2 |3000

heinphoto avatar image heinphoto commented ·

I also experienced BT range issues with the SmartShunt located in the battery box of my camper. I had a Bluetooth dongle left over from after upgarding a Blue Solar to a SmartSolar mppt controller. So, I installed the dongle on the SmartShunt, and it did make a difference for me. After installing the dongle, you will initially see two SmartShunt instances in VictronConnect. Once you are sure the dongle is working correctly, you can safely disable BT on the SmartShunt and use only the dongle. If you have a VE Smart Network configured, you may have to remove and add the devices to the network again to get communication working properly. The dongle does have a fairly long cable, so you could potentially locate the transmitter in a better location.

0 Likes 0 ·
vicme3 avatar image
vicme3 answered ·

ADDENDUM:

Now (besides connecting via an iPhone 6) I can also now see the Smart Shunt via the Victrom Connect App using my MacBookPro (running Sierra 10.12.6) - by adding a third party Bluetooth Dongle.

I git a Hideez Smart USB Bluetooth Dongle for macOS & Windows 10 – Low Energy, Long Range, Micro Bluetooth Adapter. I didn't even have to follow the setup instructions (to enter some commands in the Mac Terminal program) and, instead, just plugged in the Dongle - and the Connect App saw the Smart Shunt.

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi

According to the website https://bsmulders.com/2016/11/macbook-2011-upgrades/ , the early 2011 13" macbook pro only support bluetooth 2.1. This means that it does support bluetooth audio products (like headsets), but it does not support bluetooth low energy, which is used by the Victron products. This explains why the SmartShunt is not visible in VictronConnect, unless an external bluetooth dongle that supports at least bluetooth 4.0 is used.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Is the blue LED blinking?

Can you test with a android device?

2 |3000

vicme3 avatar image
vicme3 answered ·

Yes the blue LED is blinking,

Unfortunately I haven't any other devices or access to any. But if my iPhone 6 can see Bluetooth if transmitted from my MacBook, and visa versa - shouldn't those Apple devices also be able to detect a Bluetooth signal if it's being transmitted by a Victron device?

3 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
Some devices have bluetooth issues, and not just with Victron gear, it all depends on the version of Bluetooth phone OS versions hardware versions. just try another device
0 Likes 0 ·
vicme3 avatar image vicme3 Paul B commented ·
True, some devices may have compatibility issues. Except that I'm using what people have said works. For example: an iPhone 6 as opposed to an iPhone 12; the Mac Connect App that Victrom makes available for download on its web site and indicates as compatible with the OS (Sierra) that I'm using; and a Mac brand computer and smart Phone which Victron also indicates as being compatible.

Fact is that I've never had any Bluetooth issues between my Apple phone or computer and any third party devices - except for this problem. And being that other people have complained of various Bluetooth issues involving the Smartshunt - then (at least for now) I'm betting the problem has something with the shunt design or the offered software and not me.. maybe

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ vicme3 commented ·

Fact is for me that I never had any issues connecting to Victron devices using Android devices.

But some customers had problems with their iPhones.

To test if it is a problem with the shunt or not you have to test a device with another OS.

Bluetooth and location is activated and VictronConnect has the permission to use it?

If it doesn't work and you don't have access to a Android device you have to contact the dealer from whom you bought it.

0 Likes 0 ·