question

niccyba avatar image
niccyba asked

Set location (lat/long) using third party device?

Hi,

In my trailer I have a WiFi access point with a couple of SIMs in it (one for roaming and one for home) which also has GPS. I currently feed the GPS into a homebrew system I run, but it would be quite nice if I could add it to the VRM portal as well. The API looks like it's read-only and there doesn't seem to be a way of injecting the data any other way.

I really don't want to have to buy a Victron LTE gateway and two more SIMs just to get the data in, so any other way would be very helpful (and considerably cheaper).

So, can I get lat/long information into VRM?

Cheers. Nicholas.

gps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You can buy a USB GPS that will plug into your GX device (Cerbo, etc.) for about $20.

Here's a list of USB GPS units compatible with Venus OS:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/installation.html#UUID-3f51bfea-de8d-701d-9d5c-0c2ba67ce876

I used the Globalsat BU353S4

For other units, look for NMEA0183 support

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

niccyba avatar image
niccyba answered ·

Lovely. Thank you.

*UPDATE* - Just found an old (must be 8 years or more) unbranded generic USB GPS stick in a pile of junk in the garage and plugged it in. It just worked. Every day I am more and more impressed by Victron!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic