question

bram1 avatar image
bram1 asked

Camper electric; combining Multiplus Mppt and Orion smart DC-DC

Campervan electrics

I am currently rebuilding a Fiat Ducato van into a campervan. For the electrical system we want to use a 230v fridge, a roof fan, Led lights and some smaller accesoires such as usb chargers etc.

A rough estimate of powerusage:

Watt

Hours p/d

Wh

Ah @12v

Fridge 230v

Usb

Lights

Fan

Laptop/bikechargers etc.

Waterpump

Total

909,6 Wh

75 Ah

Adding losses, I estimate a bit less than 100Ah/day.

Charging

• Multiplus 800VA
  • Orion DC/DC smart 18A or 30A
  • Mppt 75/15 with +- 200Wp solar

Storage

The intended use of the camper van is to travel around, stay a day or to and then move again. so alternator charging and solar should be most of the charging required. Going with a multiplus is a nice to have, as adding a charger later would require a lot of components if I buy a separate inverter.

I am still looking into what I can afford,100Ah lithium sounds great, but 220Ah AGM is also reasonable for our uses. Due to a smart alternator a DC/DC charger seems needed anyways, so all should be easily set up for both chemistries. We’d prefer using a 12v system, as this is commonly used.

Do you have any remarks on this schematic?

(Apart from the not displayed safety on the 230v AC, and the non-calculated wire gauge.)

electrical-drawing-ducato.png

My question;

Can I combine the Multiplus, orion smart and mppt without a shunt or GX device or is this not advisable? As far as I can tell this is mostly for monitoring?

The multi and orion won't interfere with the ignition switch used, so it is mainly the communication between the MPPT and other chargers that could be problematic?

Thanks in advance!

Bram

MPPT SmartSolarorion-tr smartmultiplus ve.bussolarschematics
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The system will work without a BMV/SmartShunt/GX device but I would recommend at least a BMV or SmartShunt monitor the SOC.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

savage-mechanic avatar image
savage-mechanic answered ·

Hi there,

This is a very simular to a setup i would like to do with my motorhome with the edition of a smart shunt or BMV.

my question would be, Can the MPPT and the Multi plus communicate when there is good sunlight and mains power available?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Definitely add a BMV or smart shunt.

I'd also recommend Cerbo and a GX Touch 50/70. Some less expensive HDMI touchscreens would work with Cerbo if you can't afford the GX Touch. Cerbo is the piece that improves interplay between devices and centralized control.

You might want to consider a DC refrigerator. Running on 230 volts will require the Muilt to run 24/7 which is an additional 6 watts or 12 amp-hours.

If your expected load is near 100 AH, I'd plan 200 AH of USABLE energy. The AGM should only be drained to 50% so that's not much help

2 |3000