question

jtm avatar image
jtm asked

Why does my Orion-Tr Smart make a loud chirring sound?

My Orion Smart-Tr DC-DC makes loud and weird noise when the output starts, both the charge mode and power supply mode. See video.

This can't be normal? What could cause this, or what should I do?

Background: the Orion Smart-Tr 12/24 DC-DC in a camper van, charging the leisure battery (24V) from car battery (12V). Leisure battery also has other charging options (solar + Victron Skylla-IP44), and everything works well.

Edit: When it's on, I get 10-15 A current going out as seen and confirmed by the leisure battery BMS. So the unit seems to work, but I don't dare to use it in its current state.

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Definitely not normal!
Get in touch the the seller from whom you bought the Orion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shea avatar image
shea answered ·

34 seconds in is the interesting part to me, your wiring. I thought the bridge would T into the output lead, not run off to a switch or whatever you are doing. Also how is it you have 5 conductors hooked up? Sorry if I'm just ignorant, but these are my thoughts.

1 comment
2 |3000

jtm avatar image jtm commented ·

I'm not sure I understood what you mean. I have + and - wires from the car battery going in (12 V), and + and - going out (24 V), so four in total. The main switch is between the car battery (+) and the input (+) of the Orion. Thin white remote control wires go to the 24V leisure battery BMS.

0 Likes 0 ·