question

kstyler avatar image
kstyler asked

Cerbo GX Gen / Start Stop for a cooling fan

Hi, I've installed a cooling fan in my camper to cool the Orion TR Smart during the drive. I've connected it successfully to the Cerbo GX relay 1. The relay is set to Gen/Start Stop. I've defined the relay to start when the current that draws in the battery is above 20 A.

Manual Start works but the automation does not close the relay when the Orion TR Smart charges the battery with 30 Amps. Do I have a logical mistake here?

Best Kirsten

cerbo gxGeneratorfan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The generator start/stop logic would NOT count the charging current as a "load" so the "generator" would not run.

Would it make any sense to simply connect the fan to a switched 12 volts from the ignition switch so the fan runs whenever the ignition switch is in the on position? It does mean the fan will continue to run even after the batteries are charged and the Orion output is close to zero.

You could also sense Orion heat sink temperature and use that to control the fan. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752GMMPJ

Might be better solutions. The above is just the first example I came across.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drlbradley avatar image
drlbradley answered ·

Just wondering if @Kstyler got this working with the recent firmware update ? I'm looking to do the same thing

2 |3000

kstyler avatar image
kstyler answered ·

Hello, I found another solution. I've added a temperature switch that closes the circuit at 45 degrees Celsius. Now the fan cools the Orion when it reaches these temperatures.

2 comments
2 |3000

drlbradley avatar image drlbradley commented ·
Thanks for the update!
0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image t3z-gb commented ·
Hi,

could you explain your solution to power the cooling fan please, Iv added a temp sensor to close the relay when the temp is 45 degrees and open again at 30 degrees as a test. Where have you got the power for the fan, are you wiring directly to the Cerbo?

0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

Hi @Kstyler

could you explain your solution to power the cooling fan please, Iv added a temp sensor to close the relay when the temp is 45 degrees and open again at 30 degrees as a test. Where have you got the power for the fan, are you wiring directly to the Cerbo?

2 |3000