Different solar panels for short periods?

On my yacht (Dragonfly Tri) I currently have a Sunware 40w panel that is connected through a FOx-150 PWM controller. This is fine for battery maintenance, however, when sailing and using autopilot, electronics and the family charging every phone/tablet they can lay their hands on, I am consuming the battery (two 55Ah Optima blue tops) and not getting the charge time. This is especially true in the winter months.

I am planning to have a 100w panel that I can connect into the system when sailing to provide additional power. Since I am a tri I have plenty of space to fix on the trampolines and will connect through a socket installed in the coach roof.

I have bought an MPPT 75/10 controller, and ideally, I would like to replace the Fox-150 and wire the panels in parallel. The FAQ said not to mix panels though so want advice on best way to proceed.

I can leave the FOX in place and wire the 100w panel through the Victron, although I think I will get better value of having the MPPT controller connected all the time. Or, as this will not be connected all the time, and only when I am on the boat, can I just connect in parallel through the Victron without the sky falling in.

Thanks, Mike

flameskimmer asked
flameskimmer commented ·

4 Answers

What is the difference between Single phase ESS in a three-phase system and Three-phase ESS?

What is the difference between Single phase ESS in a three-phase system and Three-phase ESS?

samgeorge123 asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

1 Answer

Venus VRM Security questions

What are the appropriate Remote Console settings to have a secure connection between VRM and the Venus when using the VRM Remote Console feature? Should I set the "Use Secure Connection option" to HTTPS? If so, is it important to use the VRM password option?

I currently have the HTTPS option selected and noticed that my router is not displaying the MAC address of the Victron Connection. It's Blank. Why is that? I currently connected using the Venus internal WIFI instead of a USB WIFI.

kdrvsolar asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) edited ·

2 Answers

100/20 or 100/30 controller?

I am contemplating the 100/20 or the 100/30 charge controller. The 100/20 has some built-in protections, which the 100/30 does not. How practical are those protections and can they be easily added to the 100/30 charge controller?

Thank you

kleszczewo asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) converted comment to answer ·

1 Answer

Clearing lynx ion bms history removes SOC information

I just cleared the Lynx Ion BMS History using my CCGX and to my surprise it also removed the SOC information. Is this the normal behavior? If so, it would be nice if their was a warning in the documentation. I wanted to set a new baseline for temps, voltage, charging, and discharging.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat Davitt asked

1 Answer

Charging Narada LCSS (lead carbon super capacitor) batteries with an AC coupled MultiPlus

Hi,

I'd like some advice how I can make sure that the MultiPlus is programmed correctly for the Narada LCSC (Lead Carbon Super Capacitor) batteries. I've derived the two columns for the MultiPlus in the table below from the graph in the MultiPlus manual. The voltages for the batteries are derived from tables in the Narada manual.

The temperature compensation of the MultiPlus (currently) cannot be changed but it seems the differences (primarily at the lower and higher ends of the temperature spectrum) are significant. So far, the batteries have never reached temperatures above 25 deg/C so I'm not too worried about the higher temperatures. But the batteries surely drop to below 10 deg/C at times in the winter. What can be done to match the MultiPlus to these batteries?

My 2nd question is about the effect of ticking Storage box on the charging curve. In a fully off grid situation, the batteries never get "stored", they are in active use every day of the year. Hence I've disabled "Storage". I did notice a difference in the graphs though, which I would not expect. Why would the charging algorithm be different for the "non storage time" as well (as for the time the batteries are stored)? And am I correct in assuming that the "Repeated Absorption Time", "Repeated Absorption Interval" and "Max Absorption Time" do not apply when Storage is disabled?

regards,
Jan

[image]

A1 B D E F G H I J K
MultiPlus
Batteries
3 Temp (deg/C) Absorb Float
Absorb Delta Delta formula Float Delta Delta formula

5 <=10 58.80 56.40
56.40 -0.60 (G5-G8)-(D5-D8) 54.60 -1.28 (J5-J8)-(E5-E8)
6 15 58.00 56.00
56.40 0.20 (G6-G8)-(D6-D8) 54.60 -0.88 (J6-J8)-(E6-E8)
7 20 57.60 55.20
55.80 0.00 (G7-G8)-(D7-D8) 54.24 -0.44 (J7-J8)-(E7-E8)
8 25 57.00 54.40
55.20 0.00
53.88 0.00
9 30 56.40 54.00
54.60 0.20 (G8-G9)-(D9-D10) 53.52 -0.04 (J8-J9)-(E8-E9)
10 35 56.00 53.60
54.00 0.20 (G8-G10)-(D8-D10) 53.16 -0.08 (J8-J10)-(E8-E10)
11 40 55.20 52.80
53.40 0.00 (G8-G11)-(D8-D11) 52.80 -0.52 (J8-J11)-(E8-E11)
12 45 54.80 52.00
53.40 -0.40 (G8-G11)-(D8-D11) 52.80 -1.32 (J8-J12)-(E8-E12)
13 >=50 48.00 48.00
53.40 -5.00 (G8-G13)-(D12-D13) 52.80 -5.32 (J8-J13)-(E8-E13)

jbakuwel asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

1 Answer

LifeP04 & IP22. Documentation shows 4.2 absorption, requires 4.6 for full charge

Hi All,

After looking through all documentation for the Blue chargers, Lithium mode sets absorption at 4.2, which is not configurable unlike the MPPT solar chargers. Using a Renogy 170ah LifeP04 batter, and Renogy's documentation states 14.6.

My question is - should I be concerned that the battery will never be fully charged considering that the absorption phase stops at 14.2?

Adding to this, my BVM states that the maximum voltage detected is 13.7. Why does this not reconcile with the reading on the charger?

Thank you!

mduncan asked
klaus-pedersen answered ·

3 Answers

Venus GX will not show BMV702 info or remote console access.

Fitted new Venus GX and BMV702 connected via ve direct and using a USB modem to network. I cannot get the remote console to connect on the Venus or any info from the BMV.? Any help would be great. Thanks.

martinpk asked
martinpk commented ·

3 Answers

Has anyone tried using VEFlash via Wine?

I don't have a Windows laptop currently, and would like to keep it that way, so I have been running VEConfigure via Wine on Linux which seems to work perfectly well. I would like to be able to do the same with VEFlash, but I know the consequences of something going wrong there are potentially significant. I'm quite familiar with embedded Linux, and am used to flashing things via serial or JTAG from the command line, so if there is a way to achieve this for Victron products too I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, has anyone here tried flashing a Victron device using VEFlash on Wine?

aeneby asked
aeneby commented ·

5 Answers

Plug and play solar kit on an Off-Grid setup

I have an "off-grid" system with solar panels, a charge controller, a Victron Quattro 48 inverter and a BYD battery.

The solar panels are on the roof and impossible to access. The snow in winter reduces my production.

I have a plug and play kit (2 panels + micro-inverter, 600W max) that I do not use.

Can I connect the "plug and play network" kit to my "Off-grid" installation on a standard 230v socket?

Does it work ?

olivierkolly asked
wkirby answered ·

3 Answers

Bug in SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 ?

I disconnected the SmartSolar from the solarpanel in my sailboat 16 NOV, but in the app it erroneously indicates that it is still producing solar power, please see the enclosed picture.
The MPPT is still connected to the batteries and therefore flashing the blue LED every 3 s. The batteries are connected to an IP 12/15, that is being powered by 230 V.
Is there a bug in the SmartSolar firmware?

Cheers/ Michael (Denmark)

[image]

sputnik asked
sputnik commented ·

1 Answer

How to see all tank levels and temp sensor values from MODBUS on Venus GX

I'm looking through the MODBUS register map for the Venus GX and I see only 1 set of register values for tanks and temperature sensors. The tank values are held in registers 3000-3007 and the temp value in 3300-3305.

The Venus has inputs for 3 tanks and 2 temperature probes. I want to see the different values over a MODBUS connection to a computer. Should there not be 3 sets of registers for tanks and 2 for temperature probes?

n4hpg asked
wkirby edited ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 24V system shows battery volts as 12V

Multiplus 24/3000/70 with CCGX shows the battery volts as 12V, see attachment. Although we have 4 * 6V cells in series=24V, we power the CCGX off 2 *6V cells=12V. Is this the problem?

[image]

william asked
william answered ·

5 Answers

CCGX Internet with Android Phone Hot Spot

We have installed an Off Grid System with the following components

CCGX

Multiplus 5000

MPPT 150/35

Fronius Primo 4.0-1

at a remote cabin. The cabin does not have permanent Internet connection. The client spends only weekends there and can use his Android Smart phone as a Hot Spot to get the Internet connection. That would also allow us to register the system on VRM and we could log in on the weekends to check the system.

We would like to connect the Fronius to the CCGX to make it visible.

At the moment the Fronius is connected to the CCGX via an Ethernet patch cable. The Fronius Datamanager is configured with a fixed IP address 169.254.082.243 and the CCGX is configured with a fixed IP address 169.254.082.242. With this configuration the Primo is visible in the CCGX.

We purchased the Victron approved WiFi NANo and Gembird High Power adapters. We would like to use one of them as the WiFi access point for the CCGX and connect it to the Android phone in Hot Spot mode to get the Internet to the CCGX.

We also like to leave the Primo connected to the CCGX as mentioned above.

Is there an Internet pass through from the USB port to the RJ45 Internet port when a WiFi USB adapter is used?

Would you be able to confirm if that would work and if not what measures need to be taken to make it work.

karlheinzhaller asked
rallyhagge answered ·

4 Answers

Is the MPPT PV voltage target constant?

Hi, I have an installation including a Victron MPPT 75/15 connected to one 12V 14AH battery and 4x10W solar panels (2 series x 2 parallel). I've discharged the battery and let the system charge the battery. When I measure the energy output of one of the series with my INA226+Arduino, while the mppt in bulk charging (yellow led blinking fast), I am getting about 2xVmp as the voltage output as expected. But I am getting the same voltage output even in low irradiance and even in partial shading situation. The current decreases but the voltage tries to keep stable. Does it mean that the mppt is working with the constant voltage algorithm?

Vmp of a panel is 16.8V, so Vmp of a series is 33.6V and I am getting a 31-34 voltage range in nearly every situation even in low irradiance and partial shading.

ckapucu asked
JohnC answered ·

3 Answers

Multiplus assistants

We have Multiplus inverter/charger. It has two assistants installed, see attachments. We have now added a CCGX. I think that CCGX can do all that the assistants do. Should I remove the assistants? Or if I leave them on the Multiplus will the CCGX settings override the assistants?

[image]

[image]

william asked
neofytos answered ·

1 Answer

Victron Multiplus charger: equalization

We have Multiplus 24/3000/70, CCGX (v.211) with BVM 700. VEConfigure shows a checkbox for equalization, as in the attached image. When we charge from our alternator, how do we tell the Victron to perform an equalization charge, not just a bulk/absorption/float? Can we do this from the CCGX?

william asked
william answered ·

2 Answers

Multiplus 3000 12V Shock on Earth and Live

Having a little shocking problem with Multiplus 3000 12v.

We are got shocked from earth so we removed it. Now we getting shocked from live. I disconnected everything from inverter. Tested between live on inverter and any disconnected earth and got voltages between 40V and 150V. Any ideas?

johandurandt asked
wkirby edited ·

1 Answer

Charging Problems after Lighting storm

Hi I have installed a panel and MPPT 75/10 on a Motorhome it has work fine for the last month. I am now in Portugal and after a electrical storm the 10A fuse had blown. I fitted new fuse but now system only shows 12 ish solar volts (before 25 ish Volts) the blue light is just flashing and no charging is happening. if I remove the fuse the solar volts show about 24-25 volts.

Please Help

andrewwilson21 asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 load output not working

The voltage is around 14 but when I hook up to my Inverter, see pic for model, voltage drops and inverter will not start. Inverter hooked to 12v battery works fine... This is a new CC....

[image]

fploof asked
JohnC answered ·

1 Answer

Minimum Input Voltage for the MPPT

Will the MPPT150./100 shut down or does not start if the input voltage is below 49V?

Attached photo of array design for review. 150-100_2 Panels_5 Parallel.png

karlheinzhaller asked
JohnC answered ·

4 Answers

Wiring changes when replacing existing regulator with Victron MPPT

I am hoping to replace an old Go Power GPR 25 regulator in my RV with a Victron smartsolar unit. The Go Power is wired only to the solar panel and battery. In other words, there is no load wired directly to the regulator. Can I wire the Victron in the same fashion with only battery and PV leads connected? I only want to use the system to charge coach batteries while boondocking.

Thanks for the help.

mep67 asked
mep67 answered ·

3 Answers

UPS mode in Quattro

Hi, @mpvader this is continuation from Disqus thread ... I want to use the Quattro to supply / protect sensitive equipment. I have 3 questions related to this:

1. There are settings in VEConfig for undervoltage and overvoltage, but no setting for frequecy tolerance - the only setting I see is to select wide range, or standard - does anyone know the tolerance +/- allowed from 50Hz before unit rejects AC input and goes into UPS mode ?

2. Anyone know the power quality of the generated sinewave when in UPS mode? Has anyone ever done a waveform capture?

3. finally is there a way to make the Quattro accept AC input to charge batteries but remain in UPS mode - i.e. to effectively act like a double conversion UPS, so AC in does not power loads, only charges batteries, and the Quattro generates the AC waveform - i.e. isolation from mains?

Thanks

james-e asked
james-e commented ·

1 Answer

Single VE.bus port limitations with MultiPlus 12/1200/50

Hi,

The MultiPlus 12/1200/50 “non- compact” (PMP122120000) has one single VE.Bus port.

Is it possible to connect a VE.Bus BMS and a Venus device to this MultiPlus model at the same time or is this only possible with one of the other MultiPlus models (with two VE.Bus ports)?

Thank you!

fabian asked
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) edited ·

2 Answers

Firmware update issues leading to Victron MPPT reporting over voltage

Hi, I have 2 independent solar panel (180W each) connected to two victron 70/15 chargers. It worked fine for 6 years.

I have just replaced one Victron 70/15 with Victron 75/15. I still have second 70/15 in place until new 75/15 is working properly.

Installation went fine, and charger produced electricity, turned form bulk to absorption as day progressed.

I have in meantime done firmware update by Victronconnect. It worked up to a point and then stopped. Error message was that device is not ready. Have checked MPPT 75/15 and can see yellow and green light blinking which means over voltage. My guess is, that firmware update confused charger, as old 70/15 worked for 6 years without a blip.

I have done update by Android phone. It has run first update and completed after few attempts. Then I tried to run the app, and ask for another update to version 1.37. So I started again and stopped at around 15%. Then gor this error. It was sunny day but nothing extraordinary. 70/15 works fine in same conditions.

Can you please advise what the issue is or what I was doing wrong.

Franc asked
Franc edited ·

1 Answer

multiplus 48 volt inverter charging aux 24v bank on second output.

hi , looking for ideas . i have a 72v battery bank,36 x 2v cells and a 48v multiplus (one) and want to charge the left over 24v battery bank, i see the multiplus has aux battery charging terminals. is there a more efficient way than putting in a 48v to 24v dropper?

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

simonc asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

1 Answer

Ccgx color control keeps rebooting

Hello , I have a problem with my Ccgx color control . My system ( Quattro 48V./8000Va. / 2 ET112 / 1 MPPT 150/35 / 3 battery balancers ) has worked fine for exactly one year (to the day) in ESS self consumption mode . The ET112 's are use to measure grid and solar power .

But now my Ccgx color won't accept the USB's from te ET122 en the VE-direct cable from te MPPT anymore .

When i connect one or more USB or VE-direct cable to the color , then the color keeps rebooting . My devices have al the latest software / firmware .

Can it be that my Ccgx color control is broken and that it needs to be replaced ??

Thanks for your answer .

michelangelo509 asked
michelangelo509 commented ·

1 Answer

Is it time to replace my controller?

I have two 100/50 controllers connected to my AMG domestic battery bank. Checked all of the connections, taken the entire system off line over night....

I still get these erroneous readings from my Port controller. (Yes I checked the voltage directly at the battery) Looking for suggestions

[image]

[image]

emmykate asked
emmykate commented ·

1 Answer

Can we get back the feature that shows the last-modified time on the topics?

Until last week, this site showed a timestamp next to each question, so we could quickly see which topics were new or had updates. Now, that information is gone. Is there any way to get it back?

[As a bonus, it would be nice if there were a "dense display" option or theme, so that we could see dozens of topics quickly. Just like on any other discussion forum would show topics.]

ben asked
ben commented ·

2 Answers

BYD + Easysolar

Hi,

Is the BYD Box PRO 13,5 kW compatible with Easysolar 48/5000 - 70-100 ?

solcellespesialisten asked

2 Answers