Unbalanced generator input

I have a Stephill Generator which worked well on one single 15k Quattro with a second Quattro with the system set up as a twin phase system, I upgraded the batteries from 16 BYD batteries to 32 which worked well with a stable single phase input from my generator.

I added an additional 15k Quattro taking it up to 3 so that I can have 3 phase electric, the generator is controlled as normal but even though I’ve set up the system as normal my system draws more current from my generator than I’ve set up in the config, it also does not take a ballenced load from each phase from the generator, this in turn causes a frequency drop the system backs off then the frequency comes back into limits and the whole cycle starts again.

I’ve set my current limit to 12 amps, I’ve tried using the dynamic current limit function and this does not work as I suggest I’ll get significant over shoots in input current and corresponding drops in Hz.

Any suggestions of how to pull a steady current and get a stable Hz out put would be very much appreciated as I can connect to my house for fear of killing my electrical items as the lowest Hz I’ve seen is 46 Hz

wayne-richardson asked
alexyates commented ·

2 Answers

Venus with current sensor stuck in settings

I recently changed customer location of a Venus GX. In the previous installation it had a current sensor connected for PV Inverter consumption. In the new installation the there is no PV Inverter or current sensor but I can't seem to find a way to remove it from the Venus's settings, as such the consumption tab on the dashboard does not work. Is there a way to set a Venus back to factory settings or some other method of removing the current sensor?

hodgson asked
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) edited ·

1 Answer

How to set the Solar as the top priority source in ESS setup

Hello everybody,

I'm using Quattro 48/10000/140-2x100 + Color Control GX as the base of setup:

- the main energy source is Grid.1, 220V/10kW;

- the second/spare energy source is Grid.2, 220V/5kW (which set as "Generator Set", because there's no option to choose second grid);

- batteries are represented by BMV-702 + 200Ah Pb AGM set;

- PV part includes BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/60 + 3,5kW set of solar panels;

===========

Needed scenario: use Solar set energy (first to battery, then - to feed the household); if need more or no sun - use Grid.1; in case blackout - use Grid.2 ("GenSet").

If no electricity at both grid inputs = use battery pack.

===========

Earlier problem: from time to time my Quattro 48 tried to feed the outer grid & been overloaded.

After the updating all the firmwares & use new ESSassistant - it seems to be solved.

but now got the:

===========

Current problem:

Solar set now use only for battery charge. So, instead of ~3kW of sun energy the system consumes just ~75W (to keep batteries charged). And only when both grids are disconnected/no energy - it starts to use sun as full load.

Please, advise.

Thanks in advance!

Y.

yaro asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

2 Answers

How to get 'DC system' value from API data?

I would like get the Battery SOC, AC Consumption and DC System data in my database. I'm able to make API calls and get all data. I have found the Battery SOC and AC Consumption. But I can't find the 'DC system' value. I assume it is calculated from some other values. But how? Thanks.

[image]

gjbruinsma asked
rallyhagge commented ·

1 Answer

VE.Bus connection MultiPlus-II

Hello Together

In a 3-phase system, a terminator was incorrectly used on the VE.Bus. As a result, the connection did not work as desired. Now a device, MultiPlus-II seems to be defective, because it does not react anymore to the connection attempts with the MK3. Is it even possible to cause a defect with the Terminator? Without a connection cable to the MK3, the device seems to work normally, as soon as the cable is connected, the LEDs start flashing. Is this normal?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

srauber asked
bluepowershop answered ·

3 Answers

Setting temp the compensation value on my mppt bluesolar.-

Based on Victron "mppt-solarchargers" white paper: "The configured coefficient is in mV per degree Celsius for the whole battery bank, not per cell".

If my battery bank is wired at 48Vdc (Lead Acid) by one string of 8 batteries, 6 volt each (3 cells), -0.005mV per 2V cell/ºC (per manufacturer) would it be -0.12mV/ºC the right value to set here?

If this compensation occurs automatically, why the system allows you to choose between a positive or negative value?

thx!

dcpablo asked
dcpablo edited ·

3 Answers

Smartsolar 250/100 energy transfer to Multiplus

Hi everyone!

I am updating an old offgrid system with a new one based on Victron equipment: 4kwp pv panels, Smartsolar 250/100, Multiplus 48/5000 and CCGX.

Due to budget restrictions, the client is not able to update the battery at the time, and he will continue to use 4x 250Ah 12v monoblock batteries.

In order not to overcharge the battery, I will define the charge current limit to 30A.

My question is: is it possible to set in any way the Smartsolar to put more current into the DC bus while there are loads in the system (identified by the Multiplus)?

If not, will it may be considered as a FEATURE REQUEST?

I have already advised the client to upgrade the battery, and he will do in a year or two, when the current batteries die; so he can save some money.

Thanks for your help guys!

Fernando

fcriado asked
mvader (Victron Energy) edited ·

2 Answers

VE Config 4v min off set in Inverter tab DC shutdown to Restart

We see that there is a 4 v minimum offset between DC shutdown and DC Restart in the Inverter Tab in VE Configure. For un-managed lithium batteries, the only way to accommodate this 4v offset is to have a very low shutdown voltage (eg 47v) and/or a very high restart (eg 51v). This is sometimes outside the battery suppliers specification (eg: SimpliPhi). Is it possible to have less than 4v offset when Lithium battery type is selected? For example 2v offset?

David asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

1 Answer

How to set the right temp compensation value without an external temp sensor?

EasySolar; Multi 48/3KVA, MPPT blue 150/70TR style, CCGX... unfortunately there is no BMV monitor installed and batteries are sited on a isolated compartment (delta temperature is wide), electronics in the same room but outside of the batteries enclousure. Wich would be the better temp comp value to use here?

Through the CCGX could the readings taken by the Multi´s temp sensor be shared with the charge controller?

dcpablo asked
dcpablo commented ·

1 Answer

How the internal temperature compensation feature works on my mppt bluesolar?

"The charger uses its internal temperature for battery temperature compensation when the charger has been idle for at least one hour, i.e. when the charger is not actively charging a battery or supplying a load".

If the charge controller does the reading when it is no charging, i.e. at night, how can it choose the appropiate value if the next process will be maybe the next day and at a different/s temperature/s (along the day)
How does this works?

dcpablo asked
dcpablo answered ·

3 Answers

DVCC for off-grid only?

Hi Guy and Victron team

Do we need DVCC for on grid ESS systems or only for Off-grid as per the guide?

Thanks

David

David asked
David commented ·

1 Answer

VRM Remote Console IP Verification

Hi,

My Installation is in an RV and I provide internet via two different Cellular carriers into to router. I noticed that the VRM remote console works on Verizon, the carrier I used when setting up VRM and Venus. But when I switch my router to use ATT as the carrier, VRM Remote console does not work. I read about the Too Frequent IP Address verification issue in your support documents. Its not clear when it will allow a new IP providing it remains fixed long enough after a change. Or is there a way to tell VRM to accept a new IP? I am still running the internal WIFI on the venus. The USB wifi should arrive tomorrow.

kdrvsolar asked
kdrvsolar commented ·

1 Answer

BlueSolar PWM or MPPT with battery disconnected

I am considering using BlueSolar PWM with 20W total in PV panels on a small boat. We are talking 5m boat.

I would be connecting it to starter battery in order to keep it charged during long periods of not using the boat. On that battery there are some small loads as well, like radio, echo, lightning. We are talking about 12V/50Ah battery.

I would move those loads on a load connection available on pwm, engine directly to the battery and of course pwm directly to the battery.

There is a safety switch on board that is suppose to cut the battery off from the grid completely.

I am wondering if I would be cutting a battery away from BlueSolar PWM, how would that unit take that action and what would happen with power to connected loads (in case there is a full PV activity)?

Miro Vidos asked
Miro Vidos answered ·

4 Answers

Lithium Battery miniBMS / VE Bus BMS / BMS 12/200 - Low temperature protection available?

Hi all,

the data sheet for miniBMS contains the following lines:

"Temp or OVP (red): Charger output free floating (due to cell over temperature (>50°C), cell under temperature (<5 °C) or cell over voltage)."

I could not find a reference to Charge Disconnect at temperatures <5° anywhere else in either the miniBMS manual, VE Bus BMS or BMS 12/200 datasheet or manual. All seem to refer to over temperature only.

On the other hand Li Smart Batteries have an App setting "Allowed to charge minimum temperature". I assume this will cause the battery to indicate a temperature issue to the BMS, which in turn will trigger charge disconnect no matter whether temperature is too high or too low. Can anybody confirm this? For BMS 12/200, does this then disable charging via the LB port too?

Thanks!

stefancs asked
stefancs answered ·

3 Answers

Phoenix Inverter and c-pap causing led lights to blink.

I recently bought a Phoenix 48-250 inverter. When I plug in my wife's c-pap, the led lights blink and when I look at the output voltage on VE.Direct, it is jumping all over the place. I am not overloading it. It just doesn't like the c-pap. The c-pap has a transformer that changes from 120v ac 1.4amps to 12.8dc 4.5 amps. Any suggestions?

Thanks Ed

upnorthman asked
upnorthman commented ·

2 Answers

Multiplus firmware update problem

We have Multiplus 2612206. Trying to update to 2612431.

1. I have run VEConfigure to backup assistants and the settings.

2. I disconnect our CCGX and BVM700 by unplugging the RJ45 cable from the Multiplus.

3. Multiplus is on, inverting, the MK3 interface is not connected to Multiplus but is connected to laptop.

4. I run VEFlash, select firmware file 2612431.vff, assign correct port.

5. 'Connect part 1', I turn off the Multiplus by disconnecting the battery, connect the MK3 interface to the Multiplus RJ45 socket.

6. 'Connect part 2', I reconnect the battery to the Multiplus.

7. All LEDs on the Multiplus are now lit. Not sure what this signifies.

8. Cannot proceed to next step in the flasher.

william asked
william answered ·

4 Answers

Different solar panels for short periods?

On my yacht (Dragonfly Tri) I currently have a Sunware 40w panel that is connected through a FOx-150 PWM controller. This is fine for battery maintenance, however, when sailing and using autopilot, electronics and the family charging every phone/tablet they can lay their hands on, I am consuming the battery (two 55Ah Optima blue tops) and not getting the charge time. This is especially true in the winter months.

I am planning to have a 100w panel that I can connect into the system when sailing to provide additional power. Since I am a tri I have plenty of space to fix on the trampolines and will connect through a socket installed in the coach roof.

I have bought an MPPT 75/10 controller, and ideally, I would like to replace the Fox-150 and wire the panels in parallel. The FAQ said not to mix panels though so want advice on best way to proceed.

I can leave the FOX in place and wire the 100w panel through the Victron, although I think I will get better value of having the MPPT controller connected all the time. Or, as this will not be connected all the time, and only when I am on the boat, can I just connect in parallel through the Victron without the sky falling in.

Thanks, Mike

flameskimmer asked
flameskimmer commented ·

4 Answers

What is the difference between Single phase ESS in a three-phase system and Three-phase ESS?

What is the difference between Single phase ESS in a three-phase system and Three-phase ESS?

samgeorge123 asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

1 Answer

Venus VRM Security questions

What are the appropriate Remote Console settings to have a secure connection between VRM and the Venus when using the VRM Remote Console feature? Should I set the "Use Secure Connection option" to HTTPS? If so, is it important to use the VRM password option?

I currently have the HTTPS option selected and noticed that my router is not displaying the MAC address of the Victron Connection. It's Blank. Why is that? I currently connected using the Venus internal WIFI instead of a USB WIFI.

kdrvsolar asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) edited ·

2 Answers

100/20 or 100/30 controller?

I am contemplating the 100/20 or the 100/30 charge controller. The 100/20 has some built-in protections, which the 100/30 does not. How practical are those protections and can they be easily added to the 100/30 charge controller?

Thank you

kleszczewo asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) converted comment to answer ·

1 Answer

Clearing lynx ion bms history removes SOC information

I just cleared the Lynx Ion BMS History using my CCGX and to my surprise it also removed the SOC information. Is this the normal behavior? If so, it would be nice if their was a warning in the documentation. I wanted to set a new baseline for temps, voltage, charging, and discharging.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat Davitt asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) edited ·

1 Answer

Charging Narada LCSS (lead carbon super capacitor) batteries with an AC coupled MultiPlus

Hi,

I'd like some advice how I can make sure that the MultiPlus is programmed correctly for the Narada LCSC (Lead Carbon Super Capacitor) batteries. I've derived the two columns for the MultiPlus in the table below from the graph in the MultiPlus manual. The voltages for the batteries are derived from tables in the Narada manual.

The temperature compensation of the MultiPlus (currently) cannot be changed but it seems the differences (primarily at the lower and higher ends of the temperature spectrum) are significant. So far, the batteries have never reached temperatures above 25 deg/C so I'm not too worried about the higher temperatures. But the batteries surely drop to below 10 deg/C at times in the winter. What can be done to match the MultiPlus to these batteries?

My 2nd question is about the effect of ticking Storage box on the charging curve. In a fully off grid situation, the batteries never get "stored", they are in active use every day of the year. Hence I've disabled "Storage". I did notice a difference in the graphs though, which I would not expect. Why would the charging algorithm be different for the "non storage time" as well (as for the time the batteries are stored)? And am I correct in assuming that the "Repeated Absorption Time", "Repeated Absorption Interval" and "Max Absorption Time" do not apply when Storage is disabled?

regards,
Jan

[image]

A1 B D E F G H I J K
MultiPlus
Batteries
3 Temp (deg/C) Absorb Float
Absorb Delta Delta formula Float Delta Delta formula

5 <=10 58.80 56.40
56.40 -0.60 (G5-G8)-(D5-D8) 54.60 -1.28 (J5-J8)-(E5-E8)
6 15 58.00 56.00
56.40 0.20 (G6-G8)-(D6-D8) 54.60 -0.88 (J6-J8)-(E6-E8)
7 20 57.60 55.20
55.80 0.00 (G7-G8)-(D7-D8) 54.24 -0.44 (J7-J8)-(E7-E8)
8 25 57.00 54.40
55.20 0.00
53.88 0.00
9 30 56.40 54.00
54.60 0.20 (G8-G9)-(D9-D10) 53.52 -0.04 (J8-J9)-(E8-E9)
10 35 56.00 53.60
54.00 0.20 (G8-G10)-(D8-D10) 53.16 -0.08 (J8-J10)-(E8-E10)
11 40 55.20 52.80
53.40 0.00 (G8-G11)-(D8-D11) 52.80 -0.52 (J8-J11)-(E8-E11)
12 45 54.80 52.00
53.40 -0.40 (G8-G11)-(D8-D11) 52.80 -1.32 (J8-J12)-(E8-E12)
13 >=50 48.00 48.00
53.40 -5.00 (G8-G13)-(D12-D13) 52.80 -5.32 (J8-J13)-(E8-E13)

jbakuwel asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

1 Answer

LifeP04 & IP22. Documentation shows 4.2 absorption, requires 4.6 for full charge

Hi All,

After looking through all documentation for the Blue chargers, Lithium mode sets absorption at 4.2, which is not configurable unlike the MPPT solar chargers. Using a Renogy 170ah LifeP04 batter, and Renogy's documentation states 14.6.

My question is - should I be concerned that the battery will never be fully charged considering that the absorption phase stops at 14.2?

Adding to this, my BVM states that the maximum voltage detected is 13.7. Why does this not reconcile with the reading on the charger?

Thank you!

mduncan asked
klaus-pedersen answered ·

3 Answers

Venus GX will not show BMV702 info or remote console access.

Fitted new Venus GX and BMV702 connected via ve direct and using a USB modem to network. I cannot get the remote console to connect on the Venus or any info from the BMV.? Any help would be great. Thanks.

martinpk asked
martinpk commented ·

3 Answers

Has anyone tried using VEFlash via Wine?

I don't have a Windows laptop currently, and would like to keep it that way, so I have been running VEConfigure via Wine on Linux which seems to work perfectly well. I would like to be able to do the same with VEFlash, but I know the consequences of something going wrong there are potentially significant. I'm quite familiar with embedded Linux, and am used to flashing things via serial or JTAG from the command line, so if there is a way to achieve this for Victron products too I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, has anyone here tried flashing a Victron device using VEFlash on Wine?

aeneby asked
aeneby commented ·

5 Answers

Plug and play solar kit on an Off-Grid setup

I have an "off-grid" system with solar panels, a charge controller, a Victron Quattro 48 inverter and a BYD battery.

The solar panels are on the roof and impossible to access. The snow in winter reduces my production.

I have a plug and play kit (2 panels + micro-inverter, 600W max) that I do not use.

Can I connect the "plug and play network" kit to my "Off-grid" installation on a standard 230v socket?

Does it work ?

olivierkolly asked
wkirby answered ·

3 Answers

Bug in SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 ?

I disconnected the SmartSolar from the solarpanel in my sailboat 16 NOV, but in the app it erroneously indicates that it is still producing solar power, please see the enclosed picture.
The MPPT is still connected to the batteries and therefore flashing the blue LED every 3 s. The batteries are connected to an IP 12/15, that is being powered by 230 V.
Is there a bug in the SmartSolar firmware?

Cheers/ Michael (Denmark)

[image]

sputnik asked
sputnik commented ·

1 Answer

How to see all tank levels and temp sensor values from MODBUS on Venus GX

I'm looking through the MODBUS register map for the Venus GX and I see only 1 set of register values for tanks and temperature sensors. The tank values are held in registers 3000-3007 and the temp value in 3300-3305.

The Venus has inputs for 3 tanks and 2 temperature probes. I want to see the different values over a MODBUS connection to a computer. Should there not be 3 sets of registers for tanks and 2 for temperature probes?

n4hpg asked
wkirby edited ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 24V system shows battery volts as 12V

Multiplus 24/3000/70 with CCGX shows the battery volts as 12V, see attachment. Although we have 4 * 6V cells in series=24V, we power the CCGX off 2 *6V cells=12V. Is this the problem?

[image]

william asked
william answered ·

5 Answers

CCGX Internet with Android Phone Hot Spot

We have installed an Off Grid System with the following components

CCGX

Multiplus 5000

MPPT 150/35

Fronius Primo 4.0-1

at a remote cabin. The cabin does not have permanent Internet connection. The client spends only weekends there and can use his Android Smart phone as a Hot Spot to get the Internet connection. That would also allow us to register the system on VRM and we could log in on the weekends to check the system.

We would like to connect the Fronius to the CCGX to make it visible.

At the moment the Fronius is connected to the CCGX via an Ethernet patch cable. The Fronius Datamanager is configured with a fixed IP address 169.254.082.243 and the CCGX is configured with a fixed IP address 169.254.082.242. With this configuration the Primo is visible in the CCGX.

We purchased the Victron approved WiFi NANo and Gembird High Power adapters. We would like to use one of them as the WiFi access point for the CCGX and connect it to the Android phone in Hot Spot mode to get the Internet to the CCGX.

We also like to leave the Primo connected to the CCGX as mentioned above.

Is there an Internet pass through from the USB port to the RJ45 Internet port when a WiFi USB adapter is used?

Would you be able to confirm if that would work and if not what measures need to be taken to make it work.

karlheinzhaller asked
rallyhagge answered ·

4 Answers