question

kim avatar image
kim asked

Venus GX -> NMEA2000 / Signal K

I have an EasySolar 24/1600 that I'm looking to tie into my vessels sensor / monitoring network.

From reading this article it looks like the recommended approach has been to bridge both the VE.Bus connection from the internal MultiPlus and VE.Direct from the MPPT direct to N2K. In the comments section though there was talk of a CCGX -> NMEA integration. Is this still something on the horizon?

I'm assuming it will apply to the Venus GX too? If so, that would be a much neater integration (VE.Bus and VE.Direct -> Venus GX -> NMEA) as well as providing a couple of additional sensor inputs.

On a slightly related note, has there been any consideration for providing a direct Signal K interface from the Venus / CCGX?

Venus OSEasySolar All-in-OneVE.DirectVE.BusNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hello Kim! Welcome here on community.

NMEA2000: available in Venus OS since a while now, see here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/marine-mfd-integration-by-nmea2000.html#UUID-9abe39f1-45bf-255f-dde6-84d343b36135

SignalK: more than plans: image including SignalK is available for both Venus Gx and Raspberrypi.

https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server-node/issues/517

EDITED 2020-04-24: replaced the "nmea2000-out is coming" text by a link to the manual since its now actually here.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kim avatar image kim commented ·

That's awesome. Looks like I'll be picking up a Venus GX then.

0 Likes 0 ·
mrt avatar image mrt commented ·

Looking forward to that release - I have an NMEA2000 network port installed near my Venus waiting for it ...

0 Likes 0 ·
sebastian-w avatar image sebastian-w commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff): Is there any ETA for the release?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ sebastian-w commented ·

No, sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
bora avatar image
bora answered ·

Any further news on the NMEA integration?@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) It would be great if the Venus gx could take the position and wind info from the NMEA network and share it via the VRM/internet.

I’m using WilhelmSK app to remote monitor my power on the boat.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Bora, yes; we've finished adding the transmission of battery monitor frames out on to N2K; which will be available as in Venus OS v2.40 release candidate soon. One, (maybe two) weeks from.

What we did not do is add reading wind or other data; next on the list is sending out inverter/charger data on N2K, thereafter perhaps solar chargers and inverters and battery chargers... and then we can look at reading other data. So I'm afraid that will take quite some more time.

0 Likes 0 ·
jurjenhoekstra avatar image
jurjenhoekstra answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) I am really interested in further integration of NMEA2000 into the GX. Full integration would make it a real communication centre for the Victron equipment. You could also get rid of your VE-Bus-NMEA2000 interface for a Multi/Quattro en VE-Direct-NMEA2000 interface for the BMV once the GX starts transmitting the correct PGNs. I read that in september there was an indication of a new firmware within 1-2 weeks, but I do not see it listed yet on the firmware page. Any news?

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi yes there is news: the current beta (v2.40~something) contains the NMEA out function for battery monitors as well as inverter/chargers.

and then yes we can finally get rid of those converters!

0 Likes 0 ·
Greg Ireland avatar image
Greg Ireland answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) Hi, are you able to provide more detail on the capabilities of the N2K connectivity. In a seperate post in the Venus OS heading, I have detailed my experience and whilst I can see some data from the Quattro and cannot see any messages from the 712 battery monitor I have installed. I am super keen to get this info onto my N2K display.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/40430/venus-gx-242-can-bus-connection-what-can-we-see.html

2 |3000

bora avatar image
bora answered ·

Any further updates on reading the NMEA network outputs like wind/position/depth etc and showing it on the VRM?

I have a 4G router and an iKommunicate Signal K box but the shore server that the data goes to isn't as reliable as the VRM so I can rarely see the data.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

hi all, I came across this old thread looking for something else. Just to update you: we do have NMEA2000-out functionality in Venus OS now. Here is the manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/marine-mfd-integration-by-nmea2000.html#UUID-9abe39f1-45bf-255f-dde6-84d343b36135

And in the next big release, we're adding more. Lots of things around tank level monitoring, including NMEA2000-out function. As well as being able to read GPS data from NMEA2000. For more info on that, see the v2.60 posts. v2.60~16 is the last one at the moment.

All the best, Matthijs

2 |3000

Related Resources