question

mike48t avatar image
mike48t asked

Victron Quattro wont update firmware ( Error Occurred Please start again)

HI Good day all,

I have just installed a Victron 10KVA Quattro with BYD B Box 20KW , PV modules 5KW with VIctron MPPT, OffGrid with 15KVA Generator ,

In the setup operations the only indication apart from the Firmware update issue, is on the Color GX the ( Updated) is on the BYD Box parameters the max charge current is showing 0 but Voltages are OK, and in the settings .> system setup up. > the DVCC control access dissappered when switched to ON as per setup instructions,

All commissioned normally until I came to update the firmware on the Quattro ( 2653413.VFD), to be updated to 2653433 . Using Windows 10 PV with Victron USB MK3, ( which connects OK with VE Configure and allows setting),

Then Attempt to Update using VEFlash, Latest update confirmed, process works OK up to the point of Connecting port ( it finds the port(COM3), then on the attempt to load the firmware the message received is Error Occurred , Please try again,

I have Double checked firmware numbers

I have updated all software ( VIctron Connect and My PC)

Disconnected all firewalls ( just in case)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled All Victron Software,

Powered down and powered back up all systems( including my PC.

the problem persists, has anybody seen this error before and what actions have been taken to resolve, without this Update it seems the BYD wont function correctly, so need asap,

I have searched all Error codes, Troubleshooting guides that I can find to no avail,

I have a Support call in to the Supplier Tech dept , but this will invariably take days ( this is Spain).

thanks in Advance,

Mike

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerfirmware updateBYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

12 Answers
sunsense avatar image
sunsense answered ·

Well, it finally worked.

I had turned the 12/3000 120V inverter to off and had gone off to do something else.

I was a good 45 minutes before I came back and decided to try it once more.

The cable was still plugged into the inverter, so I went through the process again.

It worked.

So try setting it to off for some time with the cable plugged in and try the process again.

YMMV

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks for reporting back sunsense.

When you talk about turning it to off, do you mean the physical switch on the front of the unit or the setting in the CCGX?

It would be great to add another point to the troubleshooting checklist, but I am still not 100% sure what was different the time that it worked, compared to when it did not.

0 Likes 0 ·
sunsense avatar image sunsense Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, turn off the physical switch on the inverter.

I don't have any hard solution, I am justgiving you my experience.

But saying that...

As cable was previously connected to the Color GX, is there a timeout on the communication link between the inverter and the color GX ?

Could the inverter be seeing the cable removed from the Color GX as a temporary issue, that doesn't clear until a timeout occurs ?

And then possibly rejecting the new connection until the timeout expires.\

That's wild speculation on my part, of course.

I have no idea why my first 4 or 5 attempts failed with an error, on Two different computers, and then 45 mins or so later it worked first time.

But I would like it solved so it doesn't happen again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

try re down loading the firmware. make sure you clear your browser cache.

or rename the existing file before you download as well

1 comment
2 |3000

mike48t avatar image mike48t commented ·

HI Paul, Ok I have that sorted out now, I changed the Lead from the MK3 tot he PC , there was a slight issue and I think one of the pins may have been damaged, < Run the Update as per instructions with a new MK3 Adaptor and all is ok, ( Hair puller as the original had only been used twice, !!).

thanks for all for your help and advice,

0 Likes 0 ·
mike48t avatar image
mike48t answered ·

HI Paul, thanks for quick response, just a point, on renaming the file, just use a different number or are you suggesting change if from a .vff to another file type>.

For example, say I change it to 2653435.vff,

thanks

Mike

2 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

just change its name number xxxxx433-dont use.vff

you just need to make sure you are downloading a fresh file from the site and not out of your cache on the computer thats all

0 Likes 0 ·
mike48t avatar image mike48t Paul B commented ·

HI Paul, thanks very much, your help appreciated, sounds like a simple solution, will try it later today, thanks again,

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Did you follow each and every instruction of the VEFlash process? Have you performed this procedure successfully in the past?

Was the CCGX disconnected from the Quattro?

The Charge Current Limit of the BYD = 0 isn't necessarily a problem. The batteries might just be full.

2 |3000

sunsense avatar image
sunsense answered ·

I have the same problem.

I have tried Two computers, both windows 7 because that's all I have.

I have followed the directions.

I have successfully configured the multiplus via Mk. 3 to USB with the VE config software.

I wish Victron would fix their buggy software BEFORE adding new features.

I cannot use ESS until I update my NEW multiplus, so the software say's.

2 |3000

mike48t avatar image
mike48t answered ·

This situation still persists, and it seems I am not alone, Thanks Sunsense, agree about the buggy software comment!!" occasionally creates problems!!

1) I have done many Firmware Updates across a range of products, I have stated categorically that I have step by step followed the proces ( and had the process independetly audited by a colleague whilst I did it).

Supplier technical support is simply to send me a file containing the firmware, I( which produced the same result)

My question was,

"the problem persists, has anybody seen this error before and what actions have been taken to resolve, without this Update it seems the BYD wont function correctly, so need asap "

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

disconnect everything from the quattros RJ45 ports and then connect ONLY the MK3 then try the upload again

I had it last week on a Multiplus 3000 and it was because I did not remove the CCGX from the network

2 |3000

mike48t avatar image
mike48t answered ·

Already done that, I have had the quatrro as standalone in the workshop and to no avail,

thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Have you got a MK2 to try by chance

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

another thing thats worth a go try upgrading to say 430 and see if that works then try 433 again.

if 430 works and 433 does not redownload 433 ON another computer and then copy it to a usb and then try the 433 upload from that usb drive

2 |3000

mike48t avatar image
mike48t answered ·

HI Paul B, that sounds like a plan, i will give that a go, thanks,

Mike

2 |3000

domonic avatar image
domonic answered ·

Hi Mike

Are you getting your Firmware files directly from Victron Professional as we have installed and updated our firmwares to 433 without a hiccup.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Mike and Sunsense,

We don’t know of any bugs with VEflash. It is stable and mature software now.

These reports might lead us to a new bug that we don’t know about yet. But until we can find out more about this, there is nothing for those developers to fix.

We can’t re-create this issue on our end and these two are the only ongoing cases that we know of.

Can you please provide all the information you can to help us track down what is going wrong.

Eg Exact version/part numbers of windows, veflash, mk3, Quattro, and a description of your proceedure in your own words.

If you can replicate the issue on another computer, or another inverter charger, another firmware version, or another mk3 would all be extremely useful to isolating problem so we know where to look, and if we can fix it on our end.

If you believe there is a fault with your unit, please return it for a replacement.

2 |3000