question

Charles Buehler avatar image
Charles Buehler asked

Can the Venus GX change settings in connected Multi?

I have a Venus GX connected to a Miltiplus 24/5000/120 with a cat6 cable. I need to be able to change the bulk and float votages on the charger periodically (we have Li batteries, and want to use a different charge configuration when on shore power for extended time than while cruising). Can I use the Venus to do that or do I need to physically disconnect the Venus and plug in my MK3 to USB and run VE config to do that? (Same question for configuring Blue Solar mppts)

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Yes the Multi you can program remotely through the VRM portal, ve.direct devices (MPPT's) not yet.

But using Lithium batteries...depending on the type / make, usually have a BMS that sends the charge / discharge voltages to the system, so changing the settings in the multi / mppt doesn't have effect.

The BMS I use has a special 'storage mode' switch, that set's this 'charge voltage' parameter at 60% SOC to prolong battery life. That would be a very usefull feature for Victron BMS units (especially for boats / cabins / etc that are not used for longer periods)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Charles Buehler avatar image
Charles Buehler answered ·

Can you tell me where on VRM I can change the float and adsorption voltages etc.? I can't seem to find it!

And, how does one change those settings on the Blue Solar MPPTs when they are connected to a Venus by VE Direct cables?

We prefer to use our BMS is a fail-safe / protection and monitoring system, and use the configurable settings in the Multi and MPPTs to have them operate how we want them to (optimized for our Li batteries). That gives us 2 levels of control security.

2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

you unfortunately cannot (yet) configure ve.direct devices through the Venus, I don't know when this will become possible, Victron is working on this.

If you have a BMS that sends charge / discharge voltage / current to the system, the MPPT's will go into 'networked / bms controlled' mode, and will follow instructions from the BMS (need to use DVCC for that also).

I fully agree the MPPT's should be set to a safe (low) voltage for when the bms is not connected for some reason, and you reset the MPPT to work stand alone

(note that when the BMS is disconnected the MPPT's will stop working, until you reset the networked status, you can do that in the remote console. So without external action, the MPPT's will not continue to charge when the BMS get's disconnected)

0 Likes 0 ·