question

andrewb avatar image
andrewb asked

Not-victron wind charge controller + DC load monitoring

For off-grid system (multiplus + MPPT + wind turbine charge controller) with AC load and continuous DC load 24V need to monitor additional DC generation from wind and DC load consumption. Is it possible?

Without wind turbine I just have to switch on "has DC loads" (or something like this) in CCGX. But with additional non-victron charger information will be not full and not correct. May be I can use additional BMV for that purpose, am I?

dc systemHydro and Wind Power
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Yes you'll need a BMV.

or if you have a BMS with current measurement that also works. but you didn't tell us what kind of battery you use.

1 Like 1 ·
andrewb avatar image andrewb boekel ♦ commented ·

Something lead-acid. Victron GEL or may be OPzV. So I have to connect bmv shunt to... what point? before the loads or after the wind turbine charger?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ andrewb commented ·

all loads on 'load' side, shunt directly on battery negative:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quickinstallsheet_BMV70x_part1_2.pdf

if done differently, it cannot measure all currents flowing to / from battery, and not calculate what power is not coming from multi / mppt.

0 Likes 0 ·
andrewb avatar image andrewb boekel ♦ commented ·

So if I add additional DC power source there is no opportunity to monitor it, isn't it?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ andrewb commented ·

Ah you mean a seperate shunt for one source...well you can add a BMV just for one source, but I don't know how you can make that show in the Venus / VRM.

if the additional DC power source is the only DC source 'not Victron' and no DC loads are present, the Venus will calculate the input with a normal BMV installation at the battery. (with a little error margin: inverter standby load / losses are also seen as DC-loads).

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
meshugga avatar image
meshugga answered ·

I had the same problem. I can monitor my Victron MPPT's and nett battery input/output on my BMV 702/ccgx, but subtracting the two only gives net power draw minus turbine power input. Would be very usefull if Victron included a "non-victron dc" shunt that could integrate and display on their CCGX. Alternatively they should sell a Victron wind turbine controller

I installed a separate shunt & meter on my turbines' output. Displays Amps, Watts, Voltage and 24 hour Watt-hours produced - all at the same time. $18. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

houser avatar image
houser answered ·

Hello,

I have this question too. I would ideally want the output from the wind regulator in the Victron VRM charts. Would it be possible to use a second MPPT regulator after the (cheap-ish) wind generator output to achieve this?
The wind regulator has MPPT boost for lower winds, so it should output around 14 volts. Will measure it next week, when testing it all.
I would probably want a Vitron smart regulator anyway to make sure there is no overcharging of batteries from wind also.
Or is there smart way to achieve this?

Many thanks!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic