question

till avatar image
till asked

MPPT firmware update aborts at 10%

Hi,

I use an Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and tried to update the firmware via Bluetooth.

Unfortunately the connection broke during the update process.
Now the update aborts at 10% every time with Error 10 (Timeout).

I cannot connect or reset the device by bluetooth, because of the failing update.

Suggestions? Power cycle?

Thanks!

MPPT Controllersfirmware update
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scoraigwind avatar image scoraigwind commented ·

I would like to ask the question, why is it necessary to always update the firmware (if there is a new version) before you can use the bluetooth connection.

We can see from this thread that the firmware update is not always possible. Maybe you have to find another phone to do it. Maybe there is some other problem. I had a case where the update always stalled at 4%. I read the help. There was no help, because I was updating the firmware of the bluetooth device inside the SmartSolar MPPT and not the controller itself. The bluetooth device is inside the controller. So now I could not use bluetooth and I could not configure the controller. Why is it not possible to just get on with life and do the update later when we can figure out how (if we ever can)? Why does everything stop if you can't achieve the firmware update?

thanks!

Hugh Piggott

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ scoraigwind commented ·

I have raised the same concern several times with the developers, it can be extremely frustrating when in the field and a simple settings change is all that is required, and then you have a new and different problem to solve.

This is currently a technical limitation with the bluetooth update implementation, and the close relationship that is required of settings in the app matched with firmware on the device.

It is not possible to make the change now, without also introducing other more serious issues.

I am hopeful that a time will come when it is possible to access the history at least without forcing an update.

Work on this is also competing with MANY other useful additional features (that I also want).

0 Likes 0 ·
9 Answers
dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

Had the same issue a few times before and agree with Natebert on the Smartlock issue

It appears to me that my issue was that Google Smartlock stores all your Bluetooth passwords. When you change phones and transfer all the data, all of your last phones Bluetooth passwords are save in Smartlock.

When you try and connect with your new Android phone and possibly enter the password again your phone is also trying to connect via Smartlock at the same time. This causes things to crash.

In my case I cleared all the Victron devices from Smartlock and things worked perfectly.

Darren Webber

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The best place to start is to run through all the troubleshooting steps in the Victron Connect Manual.

If you have been through all of those, and it still isn't working, then please come back and let us know.

Or let us know either way!

The good news is you cannot harm the device with a failed firmware update.

2 |3000

drover avatar image
drover answered ·

Would there be any progress on this please? The same thing has happened to me and no matter what I try the update to v1.39 just continues to hang. The lights on the MPPT 75/15 are just blinking very quickly. I have absolutely no readings of anything on my Android App. Help would be greatly appreciated please?

I do have the 'Victron Connect' dongle - somewhere! I am madly trying to find it in case I need to hook up a Laptop.......I am angry with myself as I can't remember where I put it!

2 |3000

drover avatar image
drover answered ·

Well I thought I would give am update - I discovered being all smart with my smart android phone and my smart android watch that I outsmarted my self. Just out of curiosity I decided to remove my smart watch (that feeds off bluetooth and wifi) and place it back in the house. Guess what, the update went without a hitch. Lesson is probably tothink out of the circle sometimes.................grrrrrrrrr!

2 |3000

kiap avatar image
kiap answered ·

I had the same problem, fixed it by using a different phone.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, can you please let me know type of phone and possibly also the Android version?

Doing all this 100% stable on all phones and Android versions remains a challenge; overall we’re doing quite well: not too many complaints. And all issues that we’ve been able to reproduce on the (quite large) stack of phones and tablets that have been acquired bt now have been sorted. But that ofcourse has little value to you.

We’re gearing up for another round of focus on making specifically this better; so phone makes & models/android versions as well is very helpful.

The other thing helpful is to know the original firmware version & type of device that you are updating.

1 comment
2 |3000

natebert avatar image natebert commented ·

Android 8.0.1 - Samsung Galaxy S8 Active

0 Likes 0 ·
natebert avatar image
natebert answered ·

I had a similar issue and had to disable 'smartlock' in order to update. - Galaxy S8 Active android 8.0

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

thats great input; thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Robert avatar image
Robert answered ·

I absolutely could not get the firmware of my SmartSolar 75/15 to update from version 1.37 to 1.39 under android, the update always failed somewhere around 13 or 18%. Tried both a Motorola G6 Play with Android 8.0 and an older Motorola G3 (3rd Generation) with Android 6.01 and went through all the troubleshooting steps several times (removing the device from the Bluetooth list and re-adding it) -- luckily I read here that iPhones are more reliable in this process, and that did finally succeed, so many thanks for this forum ! (After the update the Android phones are also again able to connect.)

2 |3000

tony-c avatar image
tony-c answered ·

Not sure if this observation is of any help. Connecting using an iPhone worked fine, no need to load an update, although when looking in settings there was one available.

Tried using a Android (V7) phone and the process stopped demanding that an update be installed............ didn't do it because its not my unit.

Could it be that there are two different software packages inside the controller, one for iPhone and the other for Androids?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic