question

tinybluehouse avatar image
tinybluehouse asked

High pitch ringing from MPPT smart solar charge controller

Underload, my MPPT charge controller gives off a high pitch constant ringing which is driving me insane. The unit is grounded and working fine, however this high-pitched noise is rather annoying.

Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a way to solve it?

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

When you say "grounded", don't ground the pv wires, leave them floating. That said, I've never heard a Victron mppt ring. Might be a warranty job.

0 Likes 0 ·
tinybluehouse avatar image tinybluehouse JohnC ♦ commented ·

Grounded the case earth, not the negative no.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Please saend a picture of the connections and the regulator

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tinybluehouse avatar image tinybluehouse commented ·

Black coming down is pos+neg in from solar, red goes into the battery protect (which switches off from charge disconnect of bms when battery is cold) and black goes to shunt.

The ringing can be heard only when the solar input is connected, if I shut the solar off the ring goes. The ring is there regardless of if the battery protect is on off or even disconnected.

0 Likes 0 ·
untitled.png (2.6 MiB)
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ tinybluehouse commented ·

Hi,

In short: this is not normal and you should return the unit.

Joke: try to connect a telephone handset. Maybe someone's on? :o)

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
tinybluehouse avatar image tinybluehouse markus ♦♦ commented ·

It's more like tinnitus than a ring ring!!

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ tinybluehouse commented ·

If you change the charge current limit in VictronConnect, does it change the pitch or frequency of the ringing?

Have you tried removing the ground wire, to see if there is a change?

Also, do you have any other panels you could connect with different wires to see if it is the same?

I agree with the others also, not normal and return for warranty.

0 Likes 0 ·
petermaire avatar image
petermaire answered ·

Yes I have the same problem with a mppt 100-30. i have three controllers, two smaller ones are ok but the switchmode noise from the 100-30 is the worst I’ve ever heard. I built a few switch mode supplies so I understand the issue..

2 |3000