question

joeoffgrid avatar image
joeoffgrid asked

Configuration of battery parameters 12V 1) flooded starter battery 2) flooded maintenance free solar semi traction (calcium)

The guys from the battery maker gave me confusing information about the ideal charge parameters for their battery. Depending on who you ask the values are very different... 🙄

1) I want to solar charge my normal flooded starter battery for the engine (hot place).

2) The semi traction flooded solar battery with calcium technology. The later is maintenence free (Winner SMF 120Ah 12V).

Could some battery expert please give me the ideal values below for these two cases?

Many thanks!

MPPT Controllersbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi,

well you have one big issue two battery types

you would need a different charger for each type to start with.

OR you can set the charger at the lower voltages to say suit which ever is lower.

You would need to do the research yourself as to the best voltages that suited your batteries.

otherwise just go for a bulk charge of around 14.4 and a float of around 13.8.

Keep a good eye on the batteries and check there water levels if they start to use water then reduce the bulk and float voltages by 0.2 volts

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joeoffgrid avatar image joeoffgrid commented ·

Yes, thanks. Sure the batteries will have separate chargers.

Unfortunately, in the maintenance free battery I cannot check the water levels.

My question is also about absorption time and temperature compensation values. I'd assume 6h is a long time - especially for the starter battery. But no idea.

0 Likes 0 ·