question

davidbrunette avatar image
davidbrunette asked

Multiplus 5kVa (2 in parallel) with BYD giving error 17

I have 2 different sites with the same error on both.

Both systems have 2x Multiplus 5kVa in parallel.

Battery connected is BYD B-Box 10.24kWh.

Since installation both systems have been giving Error 17.

Both systems were updated to latest firmware 2624431, and then loaded with older firmware to try and correct the error.

On both systems the comms cables have been checked and replaced with new cables.

Has anyone had similar problems and if so what was your solution?

Thanx in advance.

Regards

David

BYD
15 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi David,

I hope we can get this sorted out.

Did you do the parallel programming in VE Bus Quick Configure yourself?

Are these systems connected to VRM?

Have they ever worked? Is this a periodic issue or a permanent one?

0 Likes 0 ·
davidbrunette avatar image davidbrunette Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Guy

Yes I did use the parallel programming in VE Bus Quick Configure and did it myself.

Both Systems are on VRM.

Error has been since first installation.

1 site is permanent and 1 site is periodic.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidbrunette avatar image davidbrunette Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Guy

Is there any further fault finding solutions you may have to this problem.

My client is getting very upset and wanting to remove the system now!

Yesterday i replaced all the comms cables and checked all connections into the communication ports. 8 hours later it gave the same error 17.

Please let me know what your thoughts are

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ davidbrunette commented ·

Hi David,

There might be a bit of back and forth to get to the bottom of this, so I will contact you via email. If we get a clear answer from the troubleshooting diagnosis we will post it back here for other users.

0 Likes 0 ·
jacko avatar image jacko davidbrunette commented ·

Hi DavidBrunette have you still got the same issues? I think ive finally got to the bottom of mine and i think it was using a shielded cable for the ethernet connection. I thought id send a message as i think thats what it was on mine i havnt changed much else and ive been problem free for over a week now

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb jacko commented ·

Hi

How long have you had the issue resolved for now ?

Have used shield enthernet cable on my install too and have had it running for over 3 weeks with no issue

Was looking at the issue I had with a AC to dc converter that previously used to power the internet router that was removed and was ok for 3 weeks

A AC to dc converter was then introduced tompower the cctv monitor and had the issue error 17 arise after a week

0 Likes 0 ·

@mikeb

Would it be possible to remove the shielded comms cable, and then see if the AC to DC converter still causes issues?

It might be a combination of the two.

0 Likes 0 ·
jacko avatar image jacko Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

It’s been behaving for a couple weeks now ever since I removed the shielded cable I was getting faults every couple days for a while guess it was the ground loops. Just having problems with an overload fault now that I can’t work out but I think it’s unrelated.

0 Likes 0 ·

Has your install been ok ?

I had a period of over 3 weeks with no issues and there was no change to the installation

Used shielded coms cables

And had it error again after 3 weeks then again after 10 days

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi guy

It is possible but a fair bit of work to change the cable that has been run in from the router to the colour gx

I assume you are referring to ?

Or are you requiring all coms cables to

Be unsheileded?

I have used the ferrites on the cables that connect to the colour gx so would expect them to

Do there job

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Mike,

For me this is the guessing process part of troubleshooting, using only the positive experiences of others in a similar situation, and attempting to eliminate the known possible causes of the problems.

The theory of this is that there may be some interference through that shielding, perhaps some ground current leaks finding their way. (In the other users example, a poorly isolated DC to DC transformer powering the router).

I know this is not what one wants to hear, and much rather exact and precise directions with confidence and certainty of solution, but in this case I think it is better to be realistic.

If it is at all possible, a temporary patch run of the new comms, between Multis, Router and CCGX to see if that resolves things. The Victron Supplied cable to the BMU should be fine (and the BMU itself is isolated).

The most important is the isolation of Multi comms cables.

Finally, there are better minds than mine now also looking at this issue, for you and those others still unresolved.

Regards,

Guy

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi thanks for the reply guy

It is my self previously that has had the error 17 issue fixed by removing a AC to dc converter from the installation and had over a trouble free number of weeks until another AC to dc converter was introduced.

There is currently a AC to dc converter running on the installation and will be more used once the installation starts getting used more.

I will this weekend change the comms

Cables to utp cat 5 cables from the router to the colour gx, colour gx to Quattro and from master Quattro to slave Quattro.

There is a shield cable from the colour gx to bmu of the byd.

But what I will say is the shielded part of the the cable that has been used in the installation on all of the cables haven’t been crimped to the plug when the leads have been made by my self

Unless the shield is enough to transmit any intererance in to the Quattro gx etc

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
jacko avatar image jacko mikeb commented ·

Hi mike mines still good, if it’s a tricky run could you cut the ends of and make of new rj45 connectors? I would have said that will have the same effect even just the end at the Venus device?

0 Likes 0 ·

The screening is made off on to screened plugs

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb mikeb commented ·

Isn’t made off to screened plugs

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
davidbrunette avatar image
davidbrunette answered ·

Hi Guy

Yes I did use the parallel programming in VE Bus Quick Configure and did it myself.

Both Systems are on VRM.

Error has been since first installation.

1 site is permanent and 1 site is periodic.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dionne avatar image dionne commented ·

Hi Guy. Have the same problem two 5 kva multis in parallel periodic error 17 most time early morning when batteries sit on set soc and client increases load changed comms cables updated firmware to433 swopped master and slave no luck

Any advice really frustrating for client?

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Hi

Was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this issue?

Have a parrellel 48v Quattro 10kva doing the same thing only can be running for a couple of days with no problem then error 17

Turn off the inverters and turning them Off and back on resets them but then a day latter errors again

All cabling connections etc ok

Regards

Mike

1 comment
2 |3000

davidbrunette avatar image davidbrunette commented ·

Hi Mike

No i have still not found a solution to the error 17.

I was on site yesterday. put in new comms cables between inverters.

Then gave error 17 last night and this morning.

Not sure what is going to fix this issue, as the client is wanting the system removed now unless i can definitely fix it.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Just a up date on this situation

I was able to simulate what caused the error 17 to arise.

On both time that ve bus error 17 before it was when every thing in the installation was switched off other then the internet router with minimal load. When I simulated show the installation was left it went in to error 17 within 10mins

But everything works fine with loads and generator changing etc etc

Is there something in the ve configure relating to AES or search mode that needs to be set?

Regards

Mike

6 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

ahhh AES or search mode might be a big clue here...didn't know that even works in parallel installations.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B boekel ♦ commented ·

this is the html link for all the error codes given by mvader on another post

mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

please check the VE.Bus error codes documentation.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Paul B commented ·

I'm sorry what are you answering on?

I hope @mikeb has by now tried turning AES off to see if that changes the behavior.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi

Think i need to clarify this running 2 48v 10kva Quattro’s in parrellel with byd b box pro in a off grid install.

AES and search mode WASN’T turned on or active when in the ve bus error 17 would arise.

It’s just gone in to error everytime it has little or not load

For example on every occasion it has errored it has had only a internet route on the inverters running

And when I simulated this it went in to error 17 within 10 mins

Even after a day of having a 1100watt water pump jet washer power tool batterys etc etc running on it with no problems at all

The one thing I did do after it went in to error after 10 mins is turn the AES on and selected search mode and had no problem for over 12 hours

The installation had been left with the AES off no search mode but a 120watt bar Heater and internet router on it and see what happens

Regards

Mike

1 Like 1 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ mikeb commented ·

thanks for clarifying.

I hope Victron support can fix your problem soon!

0 Likes 0 ·
dionne avatar image dionne boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi Boekei Have the same problem two 5 kva multis in parallel periodic error 17 most time early morning when batteries sit on set soc and client increases load changed comms cables updated firmware to433 swopped master and slave no luck

Any advice really frustrating for cli

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have you tried inverting the master and the slave units

2 |3000

jacko avatar image
jacko answered ·

My installs just gone out on Error 17 again aswell, lasted 2 days this time, interestingly the last two times have been around 9:30 at night, i dont think it has anything to do with the communication cables on mine i have updated the qutros firmware to the latest 433 aswell now. I inverted the master and slaves and reconfigured when i did the firmware updates. Have ever of your BYD/Victron systems done it this week?

2 |3000

mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Just a update

I have replaced the coms cables to car 5 unscreened

From internet router to colour gx enthernet

The ve bus cable from colour gx to Quattro and from Quattro to Quattro

But still have a AC to dc converter running on the installation

Only time will tell now

Regards

Mike

6 comments
2 |3000

Willem van Schalkwyk avatar image Willem van Schalkwyk commented ·

mikeb, pls offer a quick answer. I have the same issue with a site, 3 x Multiplus 48/5000 in parallel, failing with VE.Bus Error 17 every 1 days or so. I have also replaced all cables and connectors. Lead-Acid battery bank, wi-fi module connected to CCGX for internet.

Have you managed to resolve the problem, or at least pin-point the problem? Have you found it more stable with SHIELDED or UN-SHIELDED cables?

Please help.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B Willem van Schalkwyk commented ·

I have also been going over this issue on a site with 3 x multiplus 24/3000 units.

I was installed onto the boat in europe now its got to thailand and I have been sorting it out.

Its main issue and this may not be your issue. was that the battery cable lengths to each inverter were NOT all the exact same length and thus causing the site master to shut down and then a error 17 would occur.

by making all the cables the same length AND SIZE for each inverter has so far seems to have resolved that issue. its been 2 weeks now

also on this site which was on fw 419 I upgraded it to fw 459 and this fw seemed to give me other ve bus issues if the cable run was over 8 mtrs to the ccgx, (which it was) any way shortening the cable resolved this, but I did not see a error 17 with this all that happened was the dmc and the ccgx would not come online, but try a short ve bus cable anyway it may help

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Willem van Schalkwyk commented ·

Hi @Willem van Schalkwyk

As Paul says: check wiring, if this doesn't help please document all AC and DC wiring size and length, provide pictures. And don't hesitate to make a new post for your system as this topic is very big and difficult to find your posts.

So:

-replace all VE.bus cables (easy)

-check AC wiring (in and out) not too thick, not too short, symmetrical.

-check DC wiring (all resistance should be the same)

Good way to check cabling that seems to be ok: load the system is high as possible and check with thermal camera for differences in heating of loaded wiring, fuses, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb Willem van Schalkwyk commented ·

Hi

The error 17 for me is very in consistent. Any thing from a couple of days to over 3 1/2weeks between. There’s is no one thing I can pin point down to be the problem ie load ,low load, day or night, generator running ,battery voltage etc etc other the the AC to dc adaptors that are being used on the installation. With only a AC to dc adaptor running the internet router I had it go in to error with in 4 hours and a day on 3 occasions and even within 10 mins once. When this was the only thing the inverter was running. This was removed then I had no issues for over 3 weeks. One was then reintroduced to run the cctv but was also at the same time as the fridges and freezers were then put in to use. Can only come to the conclusion that the fridges etc distorted any harmonic interference this AC to dc adaptors put in to the AC side of the inverter. ????? Someone might tell me differently and say it’s got nothing to do with it. But to much of a coincidences for me.

Changing to unsheield cables made no difference. Adding ferrite’s to all the coms cables made no difference. The only thing that I haven’t added ferrite’s to is the AC out cables of the inverters. Makes me think of this would help stop the interference getting in to the inverter via the ac cable. There aren’t any issues with cables lengths on the dc side or AC side. If there was I would expect it to have not lasted over 4 weeks between errors with varying loads on the inverters from high to low loads. No time of day or night time in particular.

I am in the process this weekend of replacing the inverters with 2 new ones.

And am hoping this resolves the issue.

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb mikeb commented ·

Details of my installation

12 byd units 3 cabinets

95mm2 +and - cables to main isolator

From that bus bar to bad bar inclosure with colour gx and battery monitor mounted on the lid

Twin 95mm2 that’s (2x95mm2 positive and 2x 95mm2 negative )cables to each inverter from a bus bar

Unsheiled cat 5 cables between inverters and colour gx

6mm2 from each inverter to main AC dB isolator and then 16mm2 to the dB

3 mppts 35mm2 to bus bar with 2 ve direct and 1 usb to be direct

1 usb to be direct to smart battery monitor 1000amp Shunt

Please see picture to relate the above description

Any question please fell free to ask

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
jacko avatar image jacko Willem van Schalkwyk commented ·

My system improved a lot after removing the shielded cables, I had one more random error 17 outage after changing them then updated quattros to latest 459 firmware and been fine since.... touch wood

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Hi

Had one of my systems give a error 17 ve bus this morning at 3.40am

Last time it went in to error was on the 24th March so that best part of 3 weeks of running with no issue.

Very disappointing

Regards

Mike

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide