question

solarone avatar image
solarone asked

Venus gx relay outputs

Hi

Is it possible to use the the two relay outputs of the Venus gx independently ,for example relay1 is used for a generator and relay 2 used for a pump or Temperature

I currently use relay 1 for generator but would be useful to use relay 2 aswell

If the relays can be used independently could you please advise how this can be achieved

Thanks

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

Venus GX - VGX
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether commented ยท

Hi,

If you know a little bit of programming it is easy to enable the second relay on the Venus. You only need to modify the file PageSettingsRelay.qml.

0 Likes 0 ยท
markau avatar image markau Ole Saether commented ยท

Can you please elaborate further on this. Where do I start? A sample file would be most appreciated. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ยท
4 Answers
Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether answered ยท

Support for Relay 2 will be included in Venus v2.30 and is included in latest release candidate, Venus v2.30~27

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Anil Ghatikar avatar image Anil Ghatikar commented ยท

I can see the relay to ON switch but not clear on how to actually use the output of the relay - how it is controlled ( from Dbus?)

0 Likes 0 ยท
Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether Anil Ghatikar commented ยท

@Anil Ghatikar Relay 2 can only be controlled manually for now. Either via the gui, dbus or remotely. Here is an example on how to turn it on remotely using Modbus in python:

https://gist.github.com/osaether/c4debb133b1621a4eea9658a6043542d

And using MQTT (Relay 1 in this example):

https://gist.github.com/osaether/5ad837a7ad40a8ce98fced6a3504f5ad

https://gist.github.com/osaether/875fcfd3e96358e3623248da5595d233

To turn Relay 2 on/off using dbus on the command line use these commands:

dbus -y com.victronenergy.system /Relay/1/State SetValue 1
dbus -y com.victronenergy.system /Relay/1/State SetValue 0

0 Likes 0 ยท
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ยท

Relay 2 is not accessible yet. I also have plans for it when it does become accessible too :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ยท

Hi

4x relay are available now for the raspi Ver 2.40.46.

Still only 1 function assigned to date.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Erik avatar image
Erik answered ยท

Hi,

Why is Victron implementing a relay into the Venus that is only controllable manually. Implementing SOC control for a relay in software should be no big issue. Venus OX 2.60 still does not provide this. Manual relay control is much easier by installing a hardwired switch. No need to open a APP, browse to relay function to activate.

When is SOC relay control coming? This feature would be ideal for load management, etc.

It is also recommended that simple SOC control (not Gen/Start stop) should be an option for relay 1. i.e Switch on at 90% and switch off at 75% ( function should be either NO or NC)

2 comments
2 |3000

petajoule avatar image petajoule commented ยท

I beg to differ that a hardwired switch is easier. Not if you're 400km away from your house and need something to be switched.

SoC relay controlling can be done e.g. with a simple bash script, see

https://github.com/petajoulecorp/vicgx_plc

for an example how to access (and write to) the DBUS.

It's using dbus-send, because contrary to the easy peasy "dbus" command dbus-send is actually fast.

0 Likes 0 ยท
s-v-simbora avatar image s-v-simbora commented ยท
Erik, I would also really love to see this functionality for this relay. A SOC parameter to switch this relay would really make things easier in my setup. I do not know anything about programming and I'm not going to try to learn it a my age. I'm also not willing to try and find a Victron installer who actually can, as most of them do not know their @sses from their elbows.

If anything changes in the setup of the relays on the VGX, pease let me know.

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ยท
Richard Weir avatar image
Richard Weir answered ยท

I'd love to see some details about how to get relay 1 to work with SOC at 15%, I want to switch off my heat pump circulation pump when I have low battery but can't seem to get the right setting, some help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ยท
Hi

Yes you can via the Assitants or use the genset setting in the Cerbo or GX controller.

Both work OK.

0 Likes 0 ยท