question

chp avatar image
chp asked

MPPT 100/20 bulk charge voltage seems low. Fridge turns off and on when changing from float.

I thought bulk charge voltage should be around 14.6V??? Victron Connect app shows the voltage at around 13V or sometimes lower when in bulk change mode.

My fridge turns off and back on when controller changes out of float mode. (it is connected to the load output on the controller)

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Chp. Bulk V covers the whole V-spectrum, all the way up to Absorb V (your target). You should be able to watch it rise progressively if it has enough power.

The LOAD terminals aren't really recommended for inductive loads like a compressor fridge. If you can live with it, carry on. But otherwise, wire straight to the batts. If you want to retain the batt-protect function, do that with a relay driven from the load terminals.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

To add to what John said, the inrush current from certain loads is enough to trip the Load Output protection. I resets it's self, but it can be annoying.
There is a way around it by using an NTC to limit the startup current.

I once wrote a topic explaining it all including the workaround:

https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/2992/load-output-of-mppt-charge-controllers.html

Also see this thread here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1861/smartsolar-10020-load-switches-off-in-float-mode.html

1 comment
2 |3000

chp avatar image chp commented ·

if inrush was the issue wouldn't you see this ever time the compressor cycled on? The issue only occurs when the controller changes state from float regardless of whether the compressor is running or not.

0 Likes 0 ·