question

jetx avatar image
jetx asked

Multiplus overload while connected to shore power

I recently installed a 12/3000/120-50 230V Multiplus on my boat. Shore power is supplied through a 3600W isolation transformer to the Multiplus. For loads, I have house outlets and a small aircon unit (~5amps) connected to AC-1, and water heaters and a larger aircon (~7.5 amps) are on AC-2.

This past weekend, while connected to shore power and running just the two aircon units, the Multiplus shut down on Inverter Overload. Does this make sense? I’m obviously well within the capacity of the 50 amp transfer switch, even considering startup current for the aircon compressors. Any ideas what might be the cause of this, and how I can rectify it?

Additional background in case it matters: I’m presently in the US, and since the isolation transformer boosts the shore power voltage slightly, the input to the Multiplus is about 259 volts @ 60hz. Both air conditioners are nameplate 230V / 60hz units. Prior to installing and connecting the smaller aircon unit on AC-1, I was able to run the large aircon unit, plus water heaters (all on AC-2) without a problem.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Jeff

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jetx avatar image jetx commented ·

Should have also mentioned... UPS function and Dynamic Current Limit function were both switched off when this overload (on shore power) occurred.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
jetx avatar image
jetx answered ·

Actually, I think the (nameplate) aircon amperages above are slightly overstated. Here's what it looks like with both aircon units running, after allowing the Multiplus to reset...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.