question

Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether asked

Venus GX feature request

• Offset to tank level sensor.
  • Make it possible to turn on/off Multi with external switch when it is connected to Venus GX. This is a frequent asked question on many forums so it should be considered. Either the remote switch on the Multi itself or a switch connected to the digital inputs on the venus GX.
Venus GX - VGX
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

would this work? or does it only prevent shutting down by Venus?

(question for the Victon team)

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:ccgx_faq#q20caution_when_powering_the_ccgx_from_the_ac-out_terminal_of_a_vebus_inverter_multi_or_quattro

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi, I don’t know. I don’t think so though. Also we need to stop recommending to open up RJ45 cables; not find more reasons to cut them open. ;-).

0 Likes 0 ·
Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, I hope you will come up with a solution. A switch connected to a GPIO on the Venus would help. I am working on this now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether commented ·

I have solved this problem now. I am using a wireless wall switch and the Telldus system to turn on/off my Multiplus. In the attached video I am doing this at home while the remote console is connected to my off grid system 110km away.

Your browser does not support HTML5 video.

0 Likes 0 ·
ant avatar image ant Ole Saether commented ·

Hello _OS_ , Where/how do you install this remote-controlled external switch on your Multiplus?

0 Likes 0 ·
Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether ant commented ·

Hi Ant,

The switch is connected to my Telldus home automation system which again triggers a Python script that uses Modbus to switch the Multi on/off. You need to know some programming to make this work.

1 Like 1 ·
ant avatar image ant Ole Saether commented ·

Thanks, an idea for when I have some spare time

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ ant commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Matthijs,

Turning off AC out will not help.

The point in turning it off is to save the self consumption. Leaving the Multi on drains the batteries in a few days at this time of year when there is no sun in the north. And the point with the external switch is so that other members of my family can turn on/off the Multi. Logging in to VRM, then remote console to turn it ON/OFF is too cumbersome.

It shouldn't be to difficult for you to implement this? It is the most requested feature after temp compensated charging below +10C (which you now have fixed I believe) in the Norwegian forums.

1 Like 1 ·
vicrvusr avatar image vicrvusr mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Also this assistant can't be used with Li-Ion BMS assistants per the documentation on the assistant itself. _OS_ has developed a solution that uses an input on the Venus OS device, see this link.

It is a work in progress and needs things like auto enumeration of the inverter(s), input pins and the modes the inverter is switched to (I switch between Charge Only and On, _OS_ switches between Off and On) but has been tested on both a VGX and RPi with Venus OS.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi! Duly noted, back in september already.

And, now that I think about it again, there might be a solution for that external switch in combination with a Venus-device already, the Safety switch Assistant:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:overview_of_available_assistants#safety_switch

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

Hi Matihus,

I have an Em switch fitted to my ESS system along with the assistant.when the EM stop is operated and the multiplus shuts down,the flashing/alternating LEDs on the front of the multi are not indicative on the CCGX...ie they don't flash in the same pattern!

Are you aware of this issue!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Mark commented ·

Hi @Mark@lowlec could you post this in a separate topic? thanks. (and no, was not aware).

1 Like 1 ·
Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether commented ·

Thank you for the answer. As I understand it the emergency switch only turns off the AC out and not the Multi itself. We need to turn off the Multi to save power when not in use in an off grid system.

Going into the remote console on VRM to turn it on/off is not a good solution. We need a mechanical switch on the wall :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Ole Saether commented ·

Hi @_OS_, ah ok I understand. In that case the only solution that I can think of is our Digital Multi Control.

I really don't know any other solution. Sorry. This is a hardware limitation in the current generation of Inverter/chargers. Its fixed in newer designs, but those will take a while (a years, or more multiple years) before they come on the market.

0 Likes 0 ·
mattintheusa avatar image
mattintheusa answered ·

More Venus / CCGX Feature Requests

I just ended a six week road trip in my camper and my Victron system performed great. Based on that experience I have a feature request:

I had three occasions where I was at a campground with shore power connected and the campground power went down. My Victron system automatically switched over to the inverter and I never even knew that shore power was down. That's great, but I would like to know when that happens so I can shut down non essentially loads in the camper to help preserve battery power. In one case the battery got down to 20% before I knew anything was wrong, I have the BMV set to alarm at that level.

I would like to have an option for a "Shore Power Alert" that will go off when shore power is connected or disconnected. It could simply be a pop-up window that says either "Shore Power Connected" or "Shore Power Disconnected" with an acknowledge button. If the ccgx alarm is enabled then that should also sound.

On the "mobile" screen of the ccgx the shore power information (watts/volts/amps) is not displayed because I have MPPTs attached and that replaces the shore power information.

Could shore power information be displayed in the tank level area when tank levels are not being used?

Make the ccgx work with the alba combi NMEA adapater.

Thanks for the recent upgrades, I now have my own logo displayed on the ccgx.

4 comments
2 |3000

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

You can set an alarm for #1 via VRM if you like. That's how I have mine set up, for exactly the same reason. However, this requires internet connectivity.

1 Like 1 ·
mattintheusa avatar image mattintheusa ben ♦ commented ·

Thanks ben, I will do that although I prefer to camp in locations without internet and I really don't want to check my email when camping.

1 Like 1 ·
technomadia avatar image technomadia commented ·

I've experienced the same thing (not realizing shore power had gone out) and have long wished for an option for an alert or alarm on the CCGX.

Seems like it should be pretty simple to implement once it bubbles up the priority list. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ technomadia commented ·

Yes thats really close to the top of list

1 Like 1 ·
Charles Gibbs avatar image
Charles Gibbs answered ·

@mvader

Hi Matthijs, Another feature request please?

Would it be possible to have relay 2 on the Venus GX also be able to work for different scenarios rather than just manual or temperature please?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page