question

lydart avatar image
lydart asked

Phoenix 12/375 remote switch not working

Just bought a Phoenix 12/375 and want to use my Smart Battery Protect to control the remote switch on the inverter. The inverter is connected directly to the battery and a cable from the SBP output is connected to the left hand terminal of the remote switch.

Do I leave the remote link wire in place or should this be removed?

Phoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Do I leave the remote link wire in place or should this be removed?

A link in the phoenix or SBP? What model SBP?

0 Likes 0 ·
9 Answers
lydart avatar image
lydart answered ·

The link in the Phoenix. It's a SBP65.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lydart avatar image
lydart answered ·

I have used this wiring diagram from the latest SBP manual.

I've tested the SBP and it works apart from turning off the inverter. Checked the voltage at left terminal of the remote and it reads 13.23v when SBP active and 1.643v when off.

The inverter will not switch off at 1.643v.

Any ideas on a fix?

inverter.jpg (9.2 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Lydart

what kind of DC-loads are there? is the same thing happening without DC loads connected?

0 Likes 0 ·
lydart avatar image lydart Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Just for context, this is installed in a VW T6 California.

There are 7 DC loads:

1. Fridge
  2. 12v Sockets x 3
  3. Internal lights
  4. eberspacher parking diesel heater
  5. Buzzer alarm for SBP
  6. Smart BatterySense
  7. Remote connection to Phoenix inverter

1,2,3,4 are switched off

I have not tested with the DC loads disconnected.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have disconnected all the dc loads apart from the connection to the remote on/off switch of the inverter and it makes no difference. The inverter still remains on.

Does this mean the SBP is faulty and needs to be replaced?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Lydart, the black jumper wire must be removed from the remote bridge when wiring in a remote trigger such as you're describing. Have you done that and the inverter is still not triggering on/off as it should?

2 |3000

lydart avatar image
lydart answered ·

@Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA, I did remove the bridge before I connected the wire from the SBP and the inverter is not triggering on/off. I checked the voltage at the SBP and they are identical to the readings at the left terminal of the inverter remote. I guess the question is, What should the voltage be at the SBP output when it disconnects the battery from the load? Should it be 0.0v instead of 1.6v?

I also followed wiring instructions to ensure there was no reverse current through the SBP.

2 |3000

leverg avatar image
leverg answered ·
2 |3000

lydart avatar image
lydart answered ·

Hi @Leverg

I have a Lifepo4 battery bank and the manual says that dynamic cutoff is irrelevant for these batteries. I would also need to buy a bluetooth dongle to enable that option . So I'd rather use the SBP to control the inverter.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I have worked this out with my SBP.
I connect a 2.2KΩ resistor from the SBP output to GND. This should be sufficient to pull the SBP output Voltage down below the threshold for the inverter remote input. The resistor will burn up 0.06W when the SBP is on.

MOSFETs leak a little, it is one of the parasitic characteristics of this type of transistor.

2 |3000

lydart avatar image
lydart answered ·

Thanks @WKirby

That is my fall back option but I want to check to see if Victron have a solution to this issue. I am concerned that there may be a problem with the SBP. I just find it strange that the official wiring diagram for controlling the remote on/off of a Phoenix inverter may not work. Both the SBP and Inverter are brand new and I have wired my system as described in the manuals. If this is indeed an issue with the SBP it is better that we are all aware and that it is acknowledged and documented.

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Lydart

you can program a shutdown voltage in the inverter, this will also shut down the inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·

I know you can program the inverter via VE.Direct, but that would involve the purchase of another cable (USB or Bluetooth) for a single use. The Victron manuals clearly state that the inverter can be switched on and off by a SBP. So either my SBP is faulty or the your published manuals are incorrect.

I am just asking for official clarification on the above point

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ lydart commented ·

Hi @Lydart

We're trying to find a solution for this, next week there will be an official answer to this.

I do have to say that the programming cable gives a couple of nice features to set (stop-start voltage, etc)

0 Likes 0 ·

Can you please give me an update on the official answer?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan-shanahan avatar image brendan-shanahan Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniël,

I have exactly the same issue with a BP 100 & a Phoenix 12/375 inverter. Can you please provide an update as you said we should expect an official update several months ago!

Thanks,

Brendan

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan-shanahan avatar image
brendan-shanahan answered ·

Were you able to get a resolution for this? I have exactly the same issue with a BP 12/100 having 1.6v still present when it is turned off, which is enough to turn on the inverter.

The resistor solution seems like a bit of a hack considering this is documented in the Victron manual for the BP.

2 |3000