question

Rudi Marais avatar image
Rudi Marais asked

Using 2 GX devices in one system - can one GX's control be disabled?

Dear Victron Community,

I have a Multiplus II GX which I would like to use with a CCGX system monitor.

I understand that the Multiplus II GX device is already capable of controlling the system without the CCGX, but I would like to add the CCGX to provide a display next to the Multiplus II GX, as I prefer it as opposed to the Android App and using a phone or tablet to monitor the data.

If this is possible, can either of the Multiplus II GX or the CCGX be configured to become the "master" while the 2nd GX device then becomes redundent? If possible, I would prefer to have the CCGX as the master.

The rest of the system includes 2 x Smart Solar MPPTs (non- VE CAN version) as well as a LiFePO4 battery with a BMS system which I would then connect to the CCGX.

If the simultanious use of a CCGX & Multiplus II GX (but with one's GX function disabled) is possible in one system, which communication ports should be utilized between the CCGX and Multiplus II GX? Is there a specific procedure to be followed for set-up?

Thanks

Multiplus-IICCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Rudi Marais

I'd disconnect the GX board in the Multiplus, and use the CCGX only.

what you discribe is not possible.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rudi Marais avatar image Rudi Marais commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff),

Thank you for your time in answering my question.

Will the disconnection of the GX board result in my Multiplus II GX then effectively behaving like a Multiplus II? If yes, I am happy to use this option.

Can you perhaps assist me with instructions or detail on how to disconnect the GX device in my Multiplus II GX? Just want to ensure that I don't end up doing something I should not!

Many thanks

Rudi

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Rudi Marais commented ·

Hi @Rudi Marais

Yes it does, it's the same hardware inside.

just open the unit, and at least disconnect the ve.bus cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Johan Pool avatar image Johan Pool Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your posts and helping us novices troubleshoot our issues. Although not directly related to this question I managed to solve my long outstanding issue that local Victron support were unable to resolve. I will go update my various posts to also hopefully assist other end-users in future should they see something similar.

Thanks again.

Johan Pool

0 Likes 0 ·
Rudi Marais avatar image
Rudi Marais answered ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff),

Thank you for your reply and advice.

I have opened the unit as suggested and assume that the VE.Bus cable which you referred to is the one marked with C in the attached photo?

I also assume that the GX card is the one marked with B in the attached photo? Is that correct?

What is the name of the card marked with A in the photo?

Again many thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards

Rudi

MPII GX.pdf

mpii-gx.pdf (299.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Rudi Marais

that is correct, card A is part of the 'normal' inverter

0 Likes 0 ·
Rudi Marais avatar image Rudi Marais Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for your reply Daniël, much appreciated! Your assistance has also just again reassured me that I have purchased the best brand of inverter in the world! Thank you for your after-sales support!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic