question

Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin asked

Prioritizing PV for charging routine.

I am planning my ESS.

I have 3rd party MPPTs directly charging the batteries through a BMV.

There's a Quattro with loads both on the AC in and the AC out and a CG meter preventing export at the grid connection point.

I want to optimize self consumption, but I want to prioritize the PV for loads and charging the batteries during the day. Using the grid to supplement loads.

I only want to use the grid for charging from late afternoon onwards, say if a set SOC criteria has not been achieved during the day.

However at night an acceptable amount of discharge will be allowed to a lower SOC.

In other words, I want my batteries fully charged ready for the night, every night.

I want to cycle the batteries during the night, and I want solar to be given priority to re-charge the batteries the next day.

Can it be set up like this?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

Ah, yes

"4.4 Venus-device - Scheduled Charging"

in the manual will do the trick nicely.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·
Sure it can. I recommend to contact your local Victron Distributer/Installer for planing
2 |3000

roedolfdel avatar image
roedolfdel answered ·

Can someone elaborate a bit more on this question? I have a similar setup…

2 |3000

czauto avatar image
czauto answered ·

I would suggest running the 3rd party MPPT's through a Smartshunt or BMV device together with a GX device and then program ESS accordingly. Without an external DC monitoring device measuring current from the 3rd party MPPT's the GX device won't be able to make an accurate calculation as to where energy is coming from into the battery.

2 |3000